Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

But that joke is?

For years I have heard it said that Mac was the world of professional audio, "you install the software and see it run smoothly" was normal, that was a mbiente safe, reliable and free of all those oddities that plague the world Microsoft. So I decided to invest a bit 'of money and get into the Mac world. I bought a Macbook Pro Retina 15 I7 and connected to a MOTU audio interface Ultra Lite MK 3 and a MIDI interface Micro Express. I installed Mainstage 3 and I found out I threw away a lot of money. I found myself having the same absurd problems I had with Windows but with an aggravating circumstance that the Mac world for me is unknown. Every time I start Mainstage something new happens again, concerts and patches that worked until the night before behave differently the next day, notes from external master keyboard transiting mainstage to be addressed on external synthesizers remain locked during the execution. Even connect the MIDI interface to one of the two ports of the Mac was a problem on one of the two ports was seen and worked regularly, while the other was seen only occasionally and without there being a real hardware problem. The two ports operate in reality in perfectly with all the storage devices. Basically I got to the point of having to decide whether to throw everything and return to Windows.

But that joke is?

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 12:19 AM

16 replies

Feb 27, 2015 4:32 AM in response to Gianluca132

My general observation is that MacOS is no more reliable than Windows...

I've been using Windows since it came out so I'm very familiar with windows, but in 2014 I really needed to make my keyboard setup more mobile for festivals abroad where you can't guarantee getting the exact hardware keyboards for a complex set. So I decided to invest in a MacBookPro and Mainstage setup. I certainly had various problems both with the hardware and Mainstage itself, but I did finally get most of my problems ironed out in the end and a stable and usable system.

Along the way I had to try 5 different audio devices before I found one which didn't glitch (I tried MOTU ultralite, MBox Pro2, MAudio Fasttrack Pro, another one I've forgotten, but I finally found that the Focusrite 2i4 didn't glitch). I also have occasional problems still with midi devices not appearing when first booted (I'm using M-Audio Midisport), fixed by re-plugging. I still also have a problem with polyphony and notes disappearing in some instruments (particularly the organ which seems to lose its registrations the more I play), I keep these patches to short bits of playing!

But apart from that, I've loaded Mainstage to about 90% of memory usage (8gigs) and probably 60% of CPU usage and its performed fine. I'm using various third party AU plugins such as the Korg series and the AAS (Lounge Lizard) series. I've also got a fair few of my old keyboards sampled in as EX24 patches. So now I have a fully working and reliable system and since using it I've not had any major problems.

I'd have stuck with a Windows PC if the software was as useable as Mainstage, but I've not found any other software that allows me to set it up so quickly in a rehearsal situation, its style of presentation and gui design is just so quick and easy, and that was my primary driver for making the (large!) investment.

Mike.

Feb 27, 2015 5:45 AM in response to mikmanmikman

Thanks Mik, I imagined similar responses. Certainly a number of people I would have answered "here works all right." But certainly as you know there are also people who do not work as well. But that's not the point. The point is my disappointment for having heard for years in the audio Mac was superior to Windows only to discover after the fact that is not true. And especially frightens me the idea that all this may not have a solution if not waiting for other releases that might fix something at the expense of something else. My aim was not to have an apple lit on the door of my computer. I just wanted a machine more reliable and that was promised.

Feb 27, 2015 6:05 AM in response to Gianluca132

I was a Windows user for many, many years but eventually switched to Mac when I decided to go for a software-based gig rig. My experience has been almost the exact opposite of you guys. I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with MainStage or my Macs provided that I worked within sensible parameters for the tasks at hand. Maybe I've been lucky or you guys have been unlucky?

However, having said this, I believe that MainStage should be capable of better audio handling. I've always felt that Ableton utilizes system resources much better.

Feb 27, 2015 7:54 AM in response to Gianluca132

Sorry to hear that, especially if you expected something completely different. I'm not sure, if you have a Mac problem. From your description, it seems like there's a cabling problem. It's not the first time, that people have lost notes or stuck notes and it turn out, that the cable alway worked with the DX-7 bought in 1984 but has been in closet for some time ... I'm exaggerating now, hope you don't mind. It might be worth to check the cables, USB and MIDI.

If possible, steer away from controlling external synths. Mainstage has now Keymap included, just sample them and reduce your setup. The MBP 15 with i7 is pretty capable.

Best,

DaCaptain.

Feb 27, 2015 8:27 AM in response to DaCaptain

Thanks DaCaptain,

as I said the MIDI interfaces of the system is a MOTU Micro Express. One of the good things that allows me to do this interface is to program an internal direct routing of its inputs on its outputs. So I'm able to reproduce the same routing , master keyborad on external synth, that normally has a stream and returns through midi Mainstage simply excluding Mainstage and passing the same flow inside the Micro Express. Clearly, all this without moving anything in the wiring and connections external MIDI. Well, in these conditions, I have no problem. So if something happens, it happens in the MIDI flow passage through the MacBook and Mainstage.

Feb 27, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Gianluca132

Its no help, just a bit of chat, but I just have to say that I use a 3 keyboard setup sometimes with a Function Junction, which is a really old midi patchbay/merger, to distribute midi from all 3 keyboards to each-other and also to modules in a rack box. There's one particular song where I have to be really careful not to overdo the ad-lib flourishes at the end because it will always hang a note!! Even trusted hardware isn't always perfect 😟 But I don't use this setup enough to convert it to MS so I'll probably never be able to say if MS handles it better....

This is good advice by DaCaptain. When I purchased all the bits for my MS setup I didn't use any of my old leads because it was for a sizeable tour, I bought everything new from (mostly) StudioSpares in London and paid premium prices if I could to make sure it was all long lasting and reliable.

Mike.

Mar 6, 2015 8:55 AM in response to DaCaptain

I think you're right. I own four MOTU interfaces, a 828 mk3, a 8 pre , an ultralite mk3 hybrid and a micro express. At this point, putting together all the tests done over the years, both in Windows and in OS X, evidence that in past years have produced much correspondence with the technical service of MOTU, I can say that none of the four interfaces has never worked properly on MIDI channel, Windows or OS X. And only after several updates of drivers something he started to run. I do not think an exciting result. MOTU obviously has problems to produce a MIDI driver well working .

Mar 6, 2015 11:24 AM in response to Gianluca132

I'm currently using a late 2014 Mac Mini 3.0 i7 with 16 GB Ram and 500GB SSD and USB 3 ports. I was using a mid-2010 Mac Mini 2.6 before that. I use three keyboards, One is connected to the MIDI ports on the Ultralite, and the other two are connected with MIDI to USB cables running to a powered USB 2 hub. A Korg Radias module connected is connected via USB to the hub as well. What are you routing through the Micro Express?

Mar 9, 2015 1:00 AM in response to lifenoise

Hello. My routing is this: a weighted keyboard Doepfer PK-88 entering the MIDI In 2 of the Micro Express, a Keyb2 MK III entering the MIDI In 3, a Prophet 08 PE entering the MIDI In 4. The MIDI Out 4 of Micro Express returns to the Prophet 08 PE and the MIDI Out 5 of the Micro Express goes to the Moog Voyager . The Prophet 08 PE set in Local OFF can control both himself and the Voyager through two external intruments strip onMainStage. The Keyb2 set in local OFF control instruments in MainStage or the Prophet 08 through an external instrument strip. The Doepfer PK-88 controls only the sounds of Piano in MainStage.

The problems I encountered are always linked to the outbound routing from MicroExpress. When the Prophet controls the Voyager through a channel of MainStage or when theKeyb2 controls the Prophet 08 through a MainStage channel.

It may seem a little complicated but it is a convenient live configuration as it allows you to perform almost all parts without having to run continuously between a stack of keyboards and other.

But that joke is?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.