Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro having trouble with home wifi

My Macbook Pro is having trouble connecting to my home wifi network (but no problem with work wifi). The difference in the network settings I can see is that my home wifi uses WPA2 Personal while at work the wifi uses WPA2 Enterprise.

Symptom:

Turn on the Macbook Pro, it automatically connects to the wifi router. I have no trouble opening the wifi router's admin web interface in the web browser, which indicates that the network connection is established successfully. I can confirm that the IP address that I got on the Macbook Pro matches what the router's web interface says.

However, I cannot visit any other web site in the web browser and I cannot log onto any remote server (e.g. ssh). Interestingly, in the terminal I can ping a remote server, such as www.google.com, without any problem. However, while I can ping www.google.com, I can't "telnet www.google.com 80".

Tried turning off the firewall but see the same issue.

To make things more interesting, if I don't touch the Macbook for a few minutes (maybe somewhere between 2-5 minutes), the Internet will work suddenly. This seems to indicates that "something" hangs trying to access "something", which blocks Internet access?????? Can this happen? If this is the case, how do I find out what that "something" is?

Why does my Macbook have this weird problem?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

My machine:

Macbook Pro 15" Retina, early 2013

OSX Yosemite 10,10.1

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 12:23 AM

15 replies

Mar 2, 2015 10:33 AM in response to kachung

I found a solution: open the network settings (from System Preferences), then click Advanced and TCP/IP then select configure IPv4 to manually, and write set the IPv4 address (normally something like that 192.168.100.12), then Subnet Mask (Normally 255.255.255.0), and Router to 192.168.100.1(or something like that ask that from your router manufacturer.

I hope this helps

Mar 2, 2015 10:37 AM in response to kachung

I found a solution: open the network settings (from System Preferences), then click Advanced and TCP/IP then select configure IPv4 to manually, and write set the IPv4 address (normally something like that 192.168.100.12), then Subnet Mask (Normally 255.255.255.0), and Router to 192.168.100.1(or something like that ask that from your router manufacturer.

I hope this

Mar 2, 2015 10:38 AM in response to kachung

I hope this

Mar 2, 2015 10:39 AM in response to kachung

I hope this

Mar 18, 2015 4:10 PM in response to kachung

In the post I gave you there is a link to click on. In it is another link called (about network diagnostics) In it, it give you some more options, including one for using the built in diagnostics. If you click on or option link on the wifi icon in the upper right menu. You can go to network diagnostics to check what is happening when you lose your wifi. You can even set it to monitor the wifi connection and give a report when you get a problem. If you do this, you could post the report in here.

Mar 29, 2015 3:22 AM in response to my ginger

I tried the wireless diagnostics. Disappointingly according to the wireless diagnostics, my Internet access is fine although I can browse the Internet, can't ssh to any remote server, can't telnet to any remote port BUT I can ping remote machines without any problem!!

Why? Why can't I open any web page in any web browser, can't open the app store, can't connect to VPN, can't remote login to any machine BUT DNS query is fine and I can ping google.com and many other sites without any problem? This is very odd.

Mar 31, 2015 4:31 PM in response to kachung

Is your DHCP automatic from your service provider? Does your routers DNS show in the box under DNS server? Would be the same as router under TCP/IP.IPv4 should be the same as the router except for the the last number. IPv6 should be automatic. If you have a problem with this, click on renew DHCP lease. You say you can get it to work for a little while and then it stops working. You might want to see if in TCP/IP your IPv4 DNS has changed. There could be a conflict with other wifi on your home network. If your router is set to assign DNS to different computers on your home network automatically. You might have to go into router settings WIFI and change the range of assigned DNS that are available. The other thing that can be done on the router is to self assign a static DNS for all home wifi.That way each devise would have it's own set DNS that would not change. Also, if you bypass the router and connect directly to the modem do you get a good connection? This is a way of ruling out a problem between the router and your MBP.If your WIFI setting are not automatic DHCP from your service provider then you might want to call them and let them walk you through a setup.

Macbook Pro having trouble with home wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.