Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a free pluin for finalcut x that does balance -23LUFS EBU R128 Compliant

is there a free plugin for finalcut x that does balance -23LUFS EBU R128 Compliant please

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 1:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 5:20 PM

https://www.klangfreund.com/lufsmeter/

Install the .component files into /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components/ (you will have to authenticate with your password)

Available in FCPX from the Effects Browser > Audio > Specialized > Klangfreund (scroll all the way down to the bottom and find LUFS Meter or LUFS Meter (Multichannel).

From what I've read, this tool is better used on an Output mix channel (such as in Logic Pro). To combine all audio in FCPX, you can organize everything into a compound clip and apply the meter to the compound clip.

You should be able to use the meter in assisting setting the balance.

If you don't find this helpful, you can do a search for free -23 LUFS EBU AU plug-in.

Snapshot:

User uploaded file

Click on the wrench to get to the tools section.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2015 5:20 PM in response to RGV13

https://www.klangfreund.com/lufsmeter/

Install the .component files into /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components/ (you will have to authenticate with your password)

Available in FCPX from the Effects Browser > Audio > Specialized > Klangfreund (scroll all the way down to the bottom and find LUFS Meter or LUFS Meter (Multichannel).

From what I've read, this tool is better used on an Output mix channel (such as in Logic Pro). To combine all audio in FCPX, you can organize everything into a compound clip and apply the meter to the compound clip.

You should be able to use the meter in assisting setting the balance.

If you don't find this helpful, you can do a search for free -23 LUFS EBU AU plug-in.

Snapshot:

User uploaded file

Click on the wrench to get to the tools section.

Feb 27, 2015 11:39 PM in response to fox_m

thanks for your help fox_m, I found that plugin but it crashes and when I lower my audio timline nothing happens.

Found an otherone name Tone Booster....TB_Plugins_v3.0.9_AU_OSX and has lots of plugins int it and still having problem with not being able to lower the LUFS.

What I mean is the reading is giving me -17 and I need to get it to -23User uploaded file

Mar 1, 2015 11:29 PM in response to fox_m

that's the problem nor the timline audio and nor the volume......tried lowering them both, not doing any effect.

contacted the guys of tone booster and this was the reply :-(

( Hello Ray,

I am not familiar with Final cut X at all, so I cannot help much.

perhaps the plugin is running pre-fader instead of post fader? Just

guessing, I have never worked with that program. But it's not worth

much if volumes cannot be changed...

Best regards,

Jeroen )

Mar 2, 2015 1:46 AM in response to RGV13

You know — I really couldn't tell you if that plugin was supposed to actually do something or it's just something you look at (like any other meter) to figure out what you need to do with the audio by other means.

I thought LUFS was supposed to be the goal in broadcast standards...FCPX is used in broadcasting. What other reason is there to make an AU other than compatibility with Macintosh? Perhaps Jeroen doesn't really know what he's doing. Where there's an audio signal, and the plugin is designed to work as an AU (the audio should be nearly, if not the same as it is in Logic Pro) then the plugin should be able to do its job; no excuses.

Personally, I can't figure out the purpose... well... I can, but I think the fundamental basis of it is "fake science." Its purpose seems to be a sound squeezer -- funneling everything through the filter to get all audio sources to sound "at the same levels"... so... it's a form of compression - a kind of meat grinder for audio. To use a fi-dolla word, that's anathema to me. It doesn't take anything else into account other than the peaks, and the lows and spits out an average which is then "normalized" (another bad word)... still not seeing (or hearing) how it relates to "Loudness" (which is a perceptual concept that is different for every human on the planet and basically the very reason for volume controls on sound delivery devices.

If it were something "real" I genuinely believe Apple would have included it in its professional audio apps (Soundtrack Pro, Logic Pro.) [Apple is probably the very reason for the death of DVD simply because Blu-ray Disc is a "bag of hurt" to paraphrase Steve Jobs—and he promptly pulled the plug on all optical drive support.]

But... maybe that's just me. I think the tools available in Logic and... yes... FCPX are some of the very finest audio tools available anywhere. Perhaps the four greatest (targeting your specific current need) are: Adaptive Limiter, Multipressor, Linear EQ, and the Multimeter (this is in Audio > Specialized > Logic section in FCPX.) It handles RMS, has a goniometer, and correlation meters (learn how to use it and you can make all your audio sound *amazing*).

I apologize for the rant... it's just been very frustrating trying to uncover the real purpose for the use of LUFS... and the lack of any worthwhile information, either for general knowledge or how to use the so-called tools created for it.

If you're being asked to use it (you have my heartfelt sympathy), find out if there is a specific reason or just something the asker "heard about" and thinks it might be a good idea. Otherwise, whichever broadcaster that is using probably pushes everything through a LUFS plugin upon broadcast anyway and probably not anything you should have to worry about. It's not in standard use in the US (yet.) You shouldn't be expected to use something nobody seems to truly understand.

Mar 2, 2015 2:54 AM in response to fox_m

thanks again for the long reply which honetly made me laugh a bit, cos most of the things you mentioned are RIGHT.

I was asked by one local station to have the LUFS to -23 cos they DON'T balance it them self while broadcasting :-(

well still seaching for this grrr plug in hopefully Apple does one for Final Cut X

Mar 2, 2015 11:40 AM in response to RGV13

I don't know how far you want to go to accomplish this, but there is a VST plugin from Steinberg:

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012/05/24/slm-128-free-loudness-meter-plugin-re leased-by-steinberg/

There is a wrapper to run VSTs as AUs that's supposed to work well:

http://jvstwrapper.sourceforge.net/

This is a Java application which means you will be asked to activate/install Java. Java is discouraged on Macs because it can be a security risk. Just be careful using it. As a "desktop" environment, it shouldn't be a problem. Avoid activating it for web purposes.

If the VST to AU wrapper is recognized by FCPX you could be in luck! I believe you can run VSTs directly in Audacity (free from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). That might mean a roundtrip out of FCPX (audio only) to Audacity and re-import the edited audio back into FCPX (keep everything 48K.)

Best of luck!

Mar 3, 2015 1:17 AM in response to RGV13

OUCH! Terribly sorry! I didn't install the software myself. I won't use Java at all (even though at one time I was heavily involved in programming in the language.) That error message is from software that is too old to recognize the new 64-bit hardware. It's probably a fat binary with PowerPC and Intel code. If that's the case, the last time it was updated was between 2006; and 2009. Macs went pure 64 in Lion(?). It seems to be obsolete.

I scoured every resource I could find... there really doesn't seem to be anything available for free and the other software is ridiculously prices at multiple hundreds of dollars. (So not worth it.)

is there a free pluin for finalcut x that does balance -23LUFS EBU R128 Compliant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.