Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Air (1): Clamcase Pro vs Zagg Rugged ?

Help me decide which one to get.

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.3, 128GB, LTE, WIFI

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 4:34 AM

12 replies

Feb 27, 2015 5:55 AM in response to KD0000

Everyone always recommends the Zagg keyboards on these forums and on Amazon but I have never figured out why. They cost a lot, but it just feels like a cheaply made product. I like the Clamcase keyboards, A downside of the Clamcase that is also a downside of the Zagg is that the shell the iPad sits in is flimsy and not very protective. But the keyboard itself on the Clamcase is very nice.

If you want another high quality keyboard, Brydge makes a really nice one. They recently also rolled out protective covers for the Air 1 that can go along with the keyboard. I would have already ordered a Brydge, but they haven't released the protective cover for the iPad Air 2 yet.

Feb 27, 2015 11:06 AM in response to KD0000

I say ClamCase all the way! Their product and Customer Service is amazing.

I switched from Zagg to ClamCase after multiple bad experiences with their case and service. I bought the ClamCase Pro for the iPad Air and it made my Macbook Air pretty much useless. The 360º hinge is fantastic for when I watch netflix or surf the web in 'stand mode' or type a report for work in the 'laptop mode'. I take it with me everywhere, and I am always receiving compliments on what looks like an even smaller and lighter Macbook Air.

I have since upgraded to the iPad Air 2 and the Air 2 case from ClamCase to match. Once again it is an amazing case. I gave my brother my old ClamCase which he is constantly thanking me for.

I will always stick with and recommend ClamCase.

Feb 27, 2015 2:19 PM in response to KD0000

I have been reading Amazon reviews, watching YouTube videos, etc. The Zagg scored substantially better on Amazon. I like the backlighting. People say Clamcase cracks but I had one for an iPad 4 and didn't have that problem. I know what getting with Clamcase and like the style. Still undecided!

Mar 2, 2015 9:46 PM in response to KD0000

I went with the Zagg rugged. I had a Clamcase for my old iPad and while it was nice, I feel as if you are paying premium mainly for aesthetics. The Zagg rugged, in my opinion, looks much more versatile. I like how I will be able to detach the case and iPad from the keyboard easily. also the backlighting will be useful. Not to mention the number of broken Clamshells up on EBay, which makes me wonder how long one will last. With the Zagg you can be certain the hinge won't crack since there is no hinge. It is held together magnetically. If I really, really, wanted aesthetics like a MacBook and money was no issue, would had went with that BrydgeAir and case. It gives MacBook aesthetics, plus backlighting, speakers, etc. Cost more than even Clamshells though.

Mar 4, 2015 5:29 PM in response to KD0000

I have been typing for a few hours now and while they keys are very, very, good (they are like good PC laptop keys), they aren't excellent like the Clamcase keys. Too bad to get those excellent keys, you sacrifice reliability. There were too many Clamshell cases being sold on Ebay that were broken and too many negative reviews on Amazon for my liking. I think many people buy the Clamcase simply for aesthetics. One reviewer on Amazon wrote that he expected the Clamcase to fall apart every six months, but he should just buy a new one because it "looked so good". That is just plain silly. Sorry, I may have a lot of Apple stuff, but I do not have money to burn. If I had to do it again, I would still have picked up this Zagg Rugged. Maybe in the future, I will check out that BrydgeAir, which looks like has the same type of keys as the Clamcase. With a nice top case, the BridgeAir should definetly be like a mini MacBook. Right now, costing more than even the Clamcase is just too steep for me, but you get the Macbook aesthetics, more versatility (in my opinion), backlighting, and even speakers built in.

Mar 19, 2015 3:50 PM in response to KD0000

Case is holding up well. I use it several hours a day (with backlighting!) and the battery is still going strong on the initial charge!

Case is quite rugged, but still wouldn't call it "tough book" rugged. Honestly, I wouldn't want a case THAT rugged anyway,

I may still get that BrydgeAir (plus backcase) in the future though. Now THAT keyboard case sure looks exceptionally nice and even puts the Clamcase to shame.

IPad Air (1): Clamcase Pro vs Zagg Rugged ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.