Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get Info does not allow me to manually add album artwork

Hello,

I am trying to manually upload album artwork on iTunes with my Windows PC (Windows 8.1 64 bit). I followed all of the steps for doing this as outlined here in the Help section. I did a Google search, found the album artwork in JPEG format on the internet, and then saved it to a folder on my hard drive. I then went back into iTunes, right clicked on the album that is missing its artwork, and clicked the "Get info" button. When the next screen opens I select the "Artwork" tab, and then I select the "Add Artwork button." This opens up a browser for my file directory, and then I went to the folder where I saved the album artwork and double clicked on the particular JPEG I wanted to add for the CD. The JPEG was immediately loaded onto the screen, and everything looked good to go. However, when I hit the "OK" button to select this uploaded album artwork which is loaded on the screen, for whatever reason iTunes does not save it, and the album artwork icon for the CD remains blank. Let me know where I am going wrong, or if this is a bug that needs to be addressed.

Also, I have a program called Music Collectorz that I am using to catalog all of my CDs as I burn my collection to iTunes. For those CDs in which the Collectorz program cannot automatically find or identify the appropriate album artwork on its own, I can open up the Collectorz program's own version of "Get Info" and select "Find Cover Art." By doing this, the Collectorz program automatically does a search on the internet--without me having to leave the Collectorz program--and retrieves several "hits" it located for the missing artworkwhich it displays on another window within the program. I then simply double click with the mouse on the photo of the artwork file I want to upload to associate with the particular CD, and it is automatically uploaded and associated with the CD. Also, the Collectorz program will only allow you to upload artwork that is saved in file formats and sizes that are supported by the program like JPEG files.

It seems to me that Apple should have an easy way like this to manually add album artwork in iTunes. I should not have to do a separate Google search outside of the iTunes program, then save a JPEG to my hard-drive in another folder, and then go back into iTunes to add (or try to add) it to a CD's profile. This is a waste of time, and involves several unnecessary steps. This process should all be incorporated through the iTunes program as a one-stop shop method. I should never have to leave the iTunes program to add any artwork ever.

I look forward to your response on this.

Thanks,

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.3, I also use a PC with Win 8.1

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 12:59 AM

6 replies

Feb 27, 2015 3:35 AM in response to Gunsmoke1970

I assume that there are legal restrictions on the way in which iTunes can get artwork automatically from any source apart from the iTunes Store (which is what the right-click > Get Album Artwork function uses). For example, even though the Gracenote service that iTunes uses to match CDs and retrieve metadata (artist, album, track titles, etc.) also has artwork functions, iTunes does not make use of these.

For manual addition of artwork, there are three cases where the image you select may not be correctly embedded in your media files:

• your media are in a format that doesn't accommodate embedded artwork - typically WAV files. To embed artwork you'll need to convert to another format - Apple Lossless or AIFF if you want to preserve lossless quality, AAC or MP3 otherwise.
  • your media files are read only - to fix this, use Windows Explorer to find the folder that contains your files, right-click and select Properties. On the General tab there's a check box labeled "Read-only" - if this is checked, or is grey (sometimes blue), click the box so that the flag is unchecked and the box is white. Click OK, and then OK again when the "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" option selected. Now try adding the artwork again.
  • Windows permissions issues are preventing iTunes from updating your media files (there's some anecdotal evidence of a change in this behavior in iTunes 12). See turingtest2's notes on Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows for advice on fixing this, then try adding the artwork again.

Feb 27, 2015 2:08 PM in response to hhgttg27

All of the music I have burned to iTunes is in .WAV format, so that must be it. That seems like a dumb reason that you cannot attach artwork. What difference does it make what format you are saving to iTunes? Any audio format supported by iTunes should allow a user to attach album artwork. And I am not going to convert my files to another audio format just to save album artwork. I want my audio files saved as .WAV files for a reason.

As to getting album artwork on the web, I strongly doubt there are any legal issues. If the picture is in the public domain on a website that can be accessed with a simple Google search, you can legally save it to your hard drive. Every time you go to a website, every image on that website is loaded into your browser's history/cookies.

Apple needs to 1.) allow users to attach album artwork to iTunes files no matter what audio format they are saved in; and 2.) allow users to manually add artwork as I outlined in my previous message without having leave iTunes.

Feb 27, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Gunsmoke1970

That doesn't change the fact that Apple may be working with the constraints of agreements that prevent it from offering automated artwork discovery and import except through the iTunes Store. Otherwise there's no logical explanation for the fact that iTunes doesn't also make use of the artwork image functions of Gracenote, from which it is already retrieving metadata. Also, the vast majority of album covers are not in the public domain - even Wikipedia has to invoke "fair use" clauses to include album covers in its pages.

Feb 27, 2015 2:12 PM in response to hhgttg27

"Apple needs to ... allow users to attach album artwork to iTunes files no matter what audio format they are saved in"

They can't ... the WAV format has absolutely no provision to include artwork, or any other metadata. WAV files are simply a container that allows PCs to "see" the data stream on an audio CD as "files". There's really no need to use WAV files in iTunes - Apple Lossless would be a much better option as you get exactly the same audio quality (it uses the m4a container for standard "red book" PCM data, using lossless compression to reduce file size) and allows artwork and metadata to be embedded in the media files.

Feb 28, 2015 1:13 AM in response to hhgttg27

I am sure that a talented software engineer could figure out a way to associate a JPEG with a .wav file within the iTunes file structure. By the way, who are you to tell me what file format I should be using? More importantly, don't feel compelled to try and answer my questions when you do not know the answer, or are only offering your personal opinions.

Get Info does not allow me to manually add album artwork

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.