Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport - poor reception

Getting poor reception on the airport wifi unit. Another similar laptop gets full reception strength, but the problem one gets only one or maybe two bars.

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 3:38 AM

3 replies

Feb 28, 2015 11:56 AM in response to AppleJoe

Thank you for your help Joe,

Sadly, in my frustration when I put in my original message, I omitted to say that the good laptop, with excellent reception, is a black MacBook with Leopard 10.5.8 OS, whilst the troublesome one is almost identical, except it has had a clean install of Snow Leopard 10.6.3 put onto it. The theory is that I would use the second one as a test bed to find and work round the problems of upgrading prior to doing it on the good one.

So far it has been disastrous, and I have not yet been able to achieve any wifi connection on the Snow Leopard, although I did get patchy response on that laptop when it was on Leopard,and still does if I boot it onto a clone of that state. Noticing that the second laptop had less reception even on Leopard I am backtracking to see if I solve that problem I may have more success on Snow Leopard. Hence this question.

Very useful though your answer is, as I don't have Mountain Lion, I am guessing I have no equivalent of Wireless Diagnostics? Is it feasible / affordable to upgrade through to Mountain Lion on this hardware? Or is there another OS X variant that might be less flaky around wifi? Or do I need to get the hardware repaired?

Airport - poor reception

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.