Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i get my laptop to function like and ipod

Is there any way I can get my laptop itunes to be managed by mac mini itunes master library similar to what itunes does to ipods?

I'm a working DJ and have over 25000 songs so Itunes match is out of the question. I am looking for a way to make master playlists on my mac mini external drive and to only have selected playlists transferred to my laptop as I don't wanna bring my whole music library to work. I would like them to be partially synced somehow, but I don't want to start deleting files from my laptop every time I wanna change my playlist... (it's gonna get messy and lost files will be everywhere)

Anybody know of some way to do this?

iBook, iOS 7.0.4, Iphone4 and ipadmini

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 5:43 AM

1 reply

Feb 27, 2015 5:55 AM in response to Hello Is it me your looking for

A playlist in its basic form is a text listing pointing to files in a specific location. You can export playlists from iTunes (my old version has it in the File menu) and import them in another iTunes library but this doesn't include the files so I don't know if you are not using the same drives it it will just import a bunch of broken links. You can export the files too by highlighting those in the fist playlist and dragging them to a transfer drive, but this is going to get old fast if you are then later deleting them.

You can see if there are any third party utilities which will do what you want (I will let you do the web search).

iTunes isn't really set up to be DJ software, just a consumer level media player (and purchase interface!) While you can can use it you also need be aware of its limitations. You may simply need to make a copy of the library on an external drive and work from that.

how can i get my laptop to function like and ipod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.