Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my macbook pro update to yosemite

I currently have snow leopard (10.6.8), and have tried to download Yosemite through the app store, selected software update, my computer will restart but it will not update. Is it too old to download Yosemite? I got it in 2011.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 6:51 AM

6 replies

Feb 27, 2015 8:11 AM in response to WHAndrea

Do you see the hard drive icon on the desktop? If so, select it and then select Get Info from the File menu. That will give you a window of information about the hard drive including Capacity - how big it is and Available - how much is empty.

You can also run Disk Utility (it is hiding in the Utilities folder of your Applications) Select your drive icon after it launches and in the lower left corner you'll see Capacity, Available, and Used.

Feb 27, 2015 8:27 AM in response to dwb

Capacity : 319.73 GB (319,728,959,488 Bytes)

Available : 203.49 GB (203,490,934,784 Bytes)

Used : 116.24 GB (116,238,024,704 Bytes)

I am also trying to download it from the app store again and usually the bar at the bottom never moves and it just doesn't download, but now it is about half full, so I'll see what happens with that as well, but if it doesn't work what do I do?

Feb 27, 2015 8:40 AM in response to WHAndrea

No error message makes it hard. I hope you have the DVD your computer came with. IF so, insert the DVD and restart the computer while holding the C key. Once it boots, go up to the menubar and find Disk Utility. Run Repair Drive. If it finishes and says it found mistakes and fixed them try installing Yosemite again. If it found nothing, restart the computer with the DVD in the computer and hold the D key to start the diagnostics program. Run the long test.

Why won't my macbook pro update to yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.