Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I uploaded a file at 288 Kbps

I uploaded a file via iMatch which ended up at 288 Kbps, even after downloading it into iTunes from the cloud. I thought files would always be uploaded at a max of 256 kbps by Match. Can someone explain what may be happening? Thanks in advance.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 8:53 AM

7 replies

Feb 27, 2015 12:27 PM in response to iMatchisgreat

Hi,

If a track is matched, it is matched at 256 kbps. If the bit rate of the original was less than 256 kbps, you can delete the original and download the upgraded version. If the bit rate was greater than 256 kbps and you deleted the original, the replacement would be downloaded as 256 Kbps.

If a track is not matched it is uploaded as is if the track is MP3 or AAC but if it is an Aiff or ALAC track, it would be transcribed to 256 kbps.

Therefore, your 288 Kbps track was not changed and what you are effectively doing is downloading your original file.

Jim

Feb 27, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Thanks again, Jim. In terms of sound quality, I have 2 choices ripping CD's in iTunes:

1.- Rip CD's using WAV or AIFF and then uploading. The downloaded files will be at 256 bit rate as you indicated

2.- Rip CD's using ACC (say at 320 bit rate) and then uploading, thus retaining the original bit rate.

Which download wlll sound better? Thanks.

Feb 27, 2015 11:35 PM in response to iMatchisgreat

Hi,

Why do you need WAV or Aiff files? Do you intend listening to them on your computer? If so, use Aiff, better still use Alac. Good sound quality smaller file size. One thing to consider is the eventual file size - over 200 mb would be inelligible.

If it your intention to get the best quality in the cloud, I suggest that you use 320 kbps especially if the track will not be matched. Uploaded AIFF or ALAC tracks will be 256 Kbps at best when uploaded.

The overall question about sound quality can only be determined by you. A lot depends on what devices you intend playing your music. Most people can't tell the difference between AIFF and 320 Kbps. Likewise difference between converted 256 & uploaded 320 will be minimal.

JIm

I uploaded a file at 288 Kbps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.