Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB suddenly not recognizing devices

Hello,

I have a problem.

My MacBook Pro suddenly stopped recognizing usb devices. This morning everything was working fine, but for some reason a couple of hours later it's not working anymore.

I can connect my phone via usb and it's reloading the battery. I can't get into my files though, while I was able to do that this morning.

My MaKey MaKey also gets power and the lights flash. I can use it to play an online game. It isn't being recognized as an usb device though, and I can't upload new code to it.

I haven't changed anything between the point it was working and the point it is not working anymore.

The only change is that I've tried to connect my MaKey MaKey and upload code to it. But that didn't work, because it said there was nothing connected to my usb port. That's how I found out that it was broken.

I have tried resetting my PRAM and SMC but it both didn't help.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 12:20 PM

Hey adgx,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

The following article provides information useful for troubleshooting USB issues.

USB and FireWire Quick Assist - Apple Support

Regards,
Jeff D.

2 replies

Mar 1, 2015 1:08 AM in response to jeffd55

Thanks for your answer.

I already tried the things listed in the link you sent, but unfortunately they didn't work.

However, a few hours after I posted my question things started working again. I can connect my phone again, and the MaKey MaKey shows up in the USB list if you go to About this Mac. Still can't upload anything to it though.

But I guess my problem is solved.

USB suddenly not recognizing devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.