Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X Interface

I have an old Yamaha 01X with firewire. It works very well with my older Macbook running logic 9. OS 10.6.8

In the compatibility list for Logic Pro X, it states that the 01X is compatable with logic X,

I have not been able to get this setup to work with my new matchbook pro. I have a thunderbolt to firewire 400 adapter plugged into the computer, Logic scan seems to see it but will not communicate transport buttons. Can not find new Mlan drivers for Logic X.

Has anyone else integrated a 01X with logic pro X? What is the secret to get the control interface to work. Or do I have to upgrade the control surface.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Yamaha 01X Control Surface Mixer

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 8:53 AM

11 replies

Apr 2, 2015 5:02 PM in response to ONEfifty

Hi, No I have not had anyone tell me there experience but,.... I have found out the issue and why things are not working.... I think....

First of all, Mlan was written in 32 bit and worked fine with logic 9 and OS 10.2 - 10.6... But when Apple went to 64 bit os, things changed. Need to find someone who will rewrite "MLAN" drivers, Patch Bay, and Connection Manager into 64 bit. Where is an apple programer when you need one?

Upon further investigation, there was hints to try to emulate a Mackie Control Surface but this has not worked for me. My Logic 10 sort of sees my 01X,(as a Mackie) but I have not been able to get the Learn mode to see transport keys or faders. I think this is where the new updated drivers would work. I have tried to install the yamaha software but keep getting failures.... I guessing that it is the difference between 32 and 64 bit.

In Apple midi control, I have not been able to connect with the 01X.

Alternatively, I find that my iPad works well as a remote surface control but just does not give me the feel of the faders or the jog control.

It's unfortunate that yamaha would not see this as a customer service upgrade. I mean my 01X works well, and is worth more to me as is, than to trade it in. Plus, there really is not anything quite like it that I have found in a multi purpose audio workstation. And I am sure that they have sold more than two...

And it still works well with my older Macbook and Logic 9.

So for a audio interface, I picked up a FOCUSRITE 18i20 which is usb 3 interface, has XLR, 1/4" MIdI, digital i/o and interfaces very well with Logic. Plus I can output any output from stereo to 7.1. Using my iPad side by side to my laptop running Logic X, gives me the same transport control and access to most used features... and it's wireless! It's just a different way of doing things....

Now, I am taking the digital stereo out from the Yamaha 01x(SPDIF) and inputing to the Focusrite 18i20. This allows me to send a digital stereo mix to Logic. So, let's say I have 8 mics plugged into the 01X, (even midi) lets say I am recording a choir or a brass section or a drum kit, I could do a sub mix with the Yamaha and only take up two channels in logic. The only problem with this situation is, your mix from the yamaha is what you get, if it's good it can save you, if it's too low or too loud and distorted, your screwed. In this case, in reality, it's just letting me use 8 more inputs but restricted to two outputs.... Back in the old days when we only had 16 tracks to record with, this situation would be great. But with Logic X, we can have so many tracks, you need 8 eyes and 4 hands just to hit record. lol

Well, hope this helps you or gives you some insight as to what I have found. Another thing that I found strange is that the 01X is listed in Apples Logic support website as a supported interface. So if they tested it and made it work, what did they do?, and why did they not put the instructions in the setup page like all the other interfaces?

Cheers!

www.bryank.ca

Apr 5, 2015 6:27 PM in response to ONEfifty

Unfortunately, despite many "promises' a long while back... Yamaha have failed to deliver a 64bit mLAN driver for either Windows or OS X... amd it now appears they never will, much to the annoyance and frustration of many mLAN device owners... It is assumed the reason for the lack of updated drivers is, the lack of success of the 'mLAN' standard... which never really took off... and is now considered very old "End of Line" and therefore discontinued technology ... as is the hardware it is/was used in conjunction with.. such as the long discontinued 01x.

Wiki quote

End of life

By 2005, over 100 manufacturers were part of the mLAN Alliance[3] however very few actual products have surfaced.

As of early 2008, mLAN appeared to have reached the end of its product life. Third party developers have discontinued or retracted their mLAN products from the market, and Yamaha itself ceased any new releases of mLAN hardware or updates to the mLAN software and drivers. Even though recent FireWire based products from Yamaha can interoperate with earlier mLAN devices using a computer, any mention of mLAN is notably absent from new product announcements and driver updates over the last few years.

The references in Apple's Logic Pro X compatible controller surfaces documentation and webpage are therefore incorrect now though originally, I assume the entry for the 01x was based on the supposedly 'coming soon' 64bit drivers.. and/or maybe it's just a legacy from the older version of the specs for Logic Pro 9 and never got removed

I'll try reporting this error/situation again in the hope the webpage/documents will now be corrected... (I did so originally a few months ago but without success..)

You may also wish to report this error yourself using the Logic Pro X feedback page....

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Select Software/Hardware Compatibility in the Feedback Type drop down menu please....

Cheers..

Nigel

Jun 25, 2015 3:23 PM in response to videoluke

There is a lot of misinformation here unfortunately. First, Yamaha did in fact create a 64bit driver for the mLan card. It is called the YSFW. What affects you however is whether that new driver is compatible with the 01X. And, while I used to keep up to date on that info, I do not recall its compatibility specifically with your unit. Also, the driver is not for Logic X per se; it is for OS X. It is still downloadable from Yamah's site and the compatibility info is there as well. Or, just google the terms: Yamaha 01x, YSFW Driver and see what gives.

Jun 25, 2015 3:40 PM in response to MOTIFXS8MINE

There is a lot of misinformation here unfortunately.

I don't know about that... but there is certainly some confusion as there are, in essence... two different subjects being discussed..

The mLAN16E1 for the Motif ES and 01X which is the subject of this discussion.. was never supported by 64bit Drivers... which is why the 01X cannot be used with modern 64bit OS's and Apps...

The mLan16E2 (As used in the Motif XS series for example..) which MOTIFXS8MINE is referring to did have 64bit drivers written for it... but they proved to be very unreliable / unstable under OS X... and these drivers have not been updated since 2009...

So either way, mLAN is a dead duck..... with modern OS X versions...

Jun 25, 2015 7:07 PM in response to MOTIFXS8MINE

I don't know about that... but there is certainly some confusion as there are, in essence... two different subjects being discussed.. The mLAN16E1 for the Motif ES and 01X which is the subject of this discussion.. was never supported by 64bit Drivers... which is why the 01X cannot be used with modern 64bit OS's and Apps..

Duly noted

The mLan16E2 (As used in the Motif XS series for example..) which MOTIFXS8MINE is referring to did have 64bit drivers written for it... but they proved to be very unreliable / unstable under OS X... and these drivers have not been updated since 2009... So either way, mLAN is a dead duck..... with modern OS X versions...

To be clear- mLan has indeed given way to the FW16E. However, I cannot in anyway ascribe to the idea that the driver has been anything but rock solid for me. Also, the statement that is has not been updated is not quite accurate either. Regarding updates: since the move to the 64 bit driver- the driver has worked consistently and without fail since at least Lion- my first Mac. With each successive release of OS X, Yamaha has time and again confirmed that the driver worked with the current OS. as you can see here...

Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver V1.7.3 for Mac OS X 10.6.8 - 10.10.x

Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver enables audio/MIDI signals to be transferred between a computer and following devices compatible with the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver via IEEE1394 cables.
Devices compatible with the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver include the following.
- Yamaha FW16E/mLAN16E2/n8/n12
- Steinberg MR816 CSX/MR816 X

Note

- The system requirements below may differ slightly depending on the particular operationg system.
- The MOTIF XS8 is equipped with the mLAN16E2 as standard.
- Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver requires following software components when using with the FW16E/mLAN16E2/n8/n12.
*IEEE1394 Firmware V1.07 or later
- V1.08 or later has already been applied to the FW16E
- V1.08 or later (When using mLAN16E2 on the MOTIF XF)
* MOTIF XS V1.10 or later (When using MOTIF XS)
* n8/n12 V1.03 or later (When using n8/n12)
* Sweet Spot Data Manager V2.0.0 (When using n8/n12)

V1.7.2 to V1.7.3

- Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver has been confirmed to work properly on OS X 10.9 / 10.10.
- Changed the system requirements to the following.
Mac OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.5, 10.8.x, 10.9.x or 10.10.x

Registered Date : 3/5/2015
Language : English
Size : 13.34 MB

Jun 25, 2015 7:19 PM in response to MOTIFXS8MINE

Ah.. then I withdraw my comments on the use of these newer drivers with the FW16E.

I was basing my comments on a couple of reports i received from 10.9 users when trying to get the then latest 64bit drivers up and running with the mLAN16E2 and it kept crashing or locking up for no good reason. It would appear from your statement, that these issues have now been fixed and I wasn't aware that had been the case...

I will notify both my clients who reported such issues a year ago, in case they are not aware of the newer driver releases that appear to have fixed this issue..

So, while your comments were not directly related to the actual subject being discussed in this thread... (The 01X), the head's up... in regards to the newer drivers and newer hardware, is much appreciated!

Cheers..

Nigel

Jun 25, 2015 7:36 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

To be clear- I own the mLAN16E2. Probably would own the FW16E but they made them optional in the XF and there just wasn't enough variance between the XS and XF to justify the upgrade in my mind- the flash drive notwithstanding. Anyway, the only issues I have had were related to how Kontakt handles samples (I originally thought it was a YSFW issue), the presence of Pro Tools drivers and software (which conflicted with other software and drivers, including the YSFW) and the current issue (which may just be the result of moving all samples and V.I's to external disk).

And yeah, as mentioned, I forgot the 01X used the original mLAN card. I used to keep up with that sort of thing. Didn't mean to take things off subject.

Logic Pro X Interface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.