Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Embedded links in text no longer available in Yosemite's Messages?!

Hello! I've been using iChat and Messages for years with my co-workers and I've discovered that in Mac OS 10.10 embedded URL's no longer seem to be possible. I am used to selecting text, hitting [command]-K and pasting in a URL before I send a message, but now my only option is to past in an ugly, raw URL in my message. This is a huge problem when I send a link to a funny video or cat meme picture whose name or descriptor is in the URL, completely ruining the punch line. I have to tell the message's recipient not to read the URL but to simply click on it and trust me, which ruins the joke. How am I supposed to rickroll my friends? I can still embed a link in Mail or even TextEdit. Even in this online forum format I can link in that stupid Rick Astley video.

Dear Mr. Apple,

Please let me add embedded link to my messages in the Messages app in Mac OS 10.10.

Love,

Bruce

<Link Edited By Host>

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 7:09 AM

1 reply

Feb 28, 2015 1:04 PM in response to BruceJamieson

Hi,

From time to time the thinking on this seems to change.

AIM stopped their App and other Clients (at that time this included iChat) from sending hyperlinked text due to several incidents of malicious code in links.

Only plain text links could be sent.

Some time later, when people seemed to have forgotten about this the ability was added back.

It would seem that the issue is back again.

User uploaded file

9:04 pm Saturday; February 28, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Embedded links in text no longer available in Yosemite's Messages?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.