Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

server on two interfaces, how to prioritize one connection

I've got a 2013 Mac Pro with a Promise SANLink2 thunderbolt to 10 GbE ethernet adapter. Everything works the way it should, but the server I'm connecting to is ALSO available on my standard ethernet connection. Everytime I restart, or wake from sleep, I've got to manually go to network prefs, disable ethernet, then connect to the server via thunderbolt interface, than re-enable ethernet to get the 10 GbE connection. It's simple, but annoying to do 5 times a day. I've already tried re-ordering the interface priority list with Thunderbolt at the top slot... but still defaults to ethernet.

Anyway to connect to a specific server always with one connection??

P.S. each interface has it's own IP address, and I suspect there's a solution here, but I don't know what.

Thanks

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Promise SANLink2 Thunderbolt

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 5:50 AM

9 replies

Feb 27, 2015 6:21 AM in response to The hatter

Thanks Hatter - frustratingly, this is what I tried first, but it always defaults to ethernet. I suspect it has to do with the delayed boot-time of the SANlink - it takes ~15 sec to get going. My working theory is that OS X is checking for it first, not finding a connection, then immediately moving on to standard ethernet.

Feb 27, 2015 10:36 AM in response to julesvm

Schematic ?

You > switch (A) ==== > server

You > SANLink2 thunderbolt to 10 GbE Ethernet interface > server (bypassing switch A and all the other traffic)

I imagine the throughput via switch A to server takes longer to transfer a given set of files, and that there is more congestion on that loop than your SANLink2 thunderbolt to 10 GbE Ethernet interface.

Your own toll road high speed lane for your own "Netflix" video with fatter pipes.

server on two interfaces, how to prioritize one connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.