Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I create folders or stacks for open documents in Pages?

I'm a professor, and I have a lot of papers to grade, which leads to a lot of open documents. I'm wondering if there's a way to create folders or stacks for open documents, so I can easily organize them while keeping them open. I know I can put things in folders and stacks when they're closed, but I'm hoping to find a way to be more organized while still having all the documents open, since I need to toggle fairly quickly between them. I'm using version 4.3, so it's probably time for me to update--any pointers, on any version, would be useful, and I'll update accordingly. Thanks!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 8:25 AM

Let's say you put all of the papers to grade in a new folder you have named ToGrade. You can drag/drop this folder onto the the right side of the Dock that contains the engraved icons. Depending on the display options you set for this alias, you can see all of your documents in a window as a grid, list, or fan.

Let's say you have several papers to grade — concurrently open in Pages '09 v4.3. You can switch between individual open document windows with the command+` (that is the back-tic below esc) keyboard shortcut. In practice, this document switching is quick.

The first paragraph may be a means to organize for the second paragraph's utility.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2015 8:25 AM in response to megfw

Let's say you put all of the papers to grade in a new folder you have named ToGrade. You can drag/drop this folder onto the the right side of the Dock that contains the engraved icons. Depending on the display options you set for this alias, you can see all of your documents in a window as a grid, list, or fan.

Let's say you have several papers to grade — concurrently open in Pages '09 v4.3. You can switch between individual open document windows with the command+` (that is the back-tic below esc) keyboard shortcut. In practice, this document switching is quick.

The first paragraph may be a means to organize for the second paragraph's utility.

Feb 27, 2015 9:38 AM in response to megfw

The bottom of the Window menu displays a list of open documents, which you can use to bring any one to the front; right clicking (or Control clicking) on the Pages icon in the Dock brings up a similar list there. If you have put the documents in a stack on the right end of the Dock, you can use that stack to bring an open document to the front, as well as to open a closed document.

Feb 27, 2015 12:42 PM in response to megfw

Another efficiency is to use the Finder to select as many documents as you deem concurrently manageable. Then with a right-click, when you choose Open with and Pages (4.3), all will open simultaneously. It is then a matter of personal workflow choice whether you reach for the Window menu, or use the command+` keyboard shortcut for individual document selection.

Feb 27, 2015 3:29 PM in response to megfw

Or keep a window open In Finder to the side where you can examine the content with either Coverflow or enlarged Icon View. You can freely drag the Icon with its preview wherever you want in the Icon View window, so you can stack all the As in the top left corner, Bs next, Cs after etc.

Also you can apply Labels or tags to each grade so you see a color for each. This is somewhat messed up in Yosemite & Mavericks but can be corrected with XtraFinder [free] which allows the overall color to show like it did previously.

You can have several windows open for the same folder all with different views.

Below are the many options available [there are more still]:

User uploaded file

If you use Default Folder there are even further ways of managing your files as you open and close them.

Peter

Feb 27, 2015 4:27 PM in response to megfw

Here is another way of looking at your documents:

User uploaded file

The right window is Coverflow View of the same folder with the list below Arranged by Tags. NB The highlighted View icon in the Toolbar.

Tags/Labels can be changed to whatever you want, so what appears green in Finder can be "Grade A". Also in Mavericks/Yosemite you can have many more colors and tags than the standard 8, labelling and colouring them what you want.

You can apply Tags to the document as you save them. Those as well as the location of Folder can be changed by clicking on the Title at the top of the document Window in Pages which most closely matches what you were asking for in your first post.

User uploaded file

You can drag your files to different folders to sort them in Finder whilst you have them open. Finder keeps track of where they are.

For you it would be better to have your folders for the Grading in the Toolbar (top of the Window) or Sidebar rather than the Dock.

Peter

Can I create folders or stacks for open documents in Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.