Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics Card Mac Pro early 2008

I need/want to upgrade my video card in my early 2008 Mac Pro. I am still running the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB card. I recently purchased the

Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC with Boost 3GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11197-03-40G. After reading several post I thought this would work. I either got the wrong card or it's missing appropriate cables to connect. I have also watched a few installs on you tube. They are not in a early 2008 because I have to connector plugs where they show.

Please advice me on a good graphics card for my Mac Pro. I'm not a gamer but do a lot of photography work on my computer. It locks up sometimes when working with graphics.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Acer 24 inch, 300, 500,2x 1000 GB drives, 2TB backup

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2015 8:39 AM in response to James Borzak

You wanted to look for a version similar to the AMD Mac Edition that uses 2 x 6-pin cables.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sapphire/100352MAC/

8-pin means that it is expecting to see 150W on each.

I recommended the 2nd link for this reason:

PCI-E PCIe PCI Express 6 pin Video Card Power Cable Adaptor Convertor for Mac Pro Dual Quad Core G5

Provide prower from internal logic board mini 6 Pin to PCI Express Vdieo Card standard 6 pin

Works with any PCI Express-based Intel Mac Pro Tower machines

and any MAC video card with starndard 6 pin power connectors

such as but not limited to ATI Radeon 4870, 3870, 3850, 1900 GT/XT

How many watts is your card rated for? the only reason for 2x8-pin is it needs 225-300W

Graphics Card Mac Pro early 2008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.