Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 Step authentication requires call in for FaceTime and Messages and Apple can't verify validation code

I recently had my MacBook Pro main logic board and display replaced (16 months old and well taken care of, not sure why most of my laptop macs have MLB issues).

I have been big on enabling encryption and 2 step authentication on most my accounts and devices.

Unlike iOS, it seems OS X does not retain passwords with an encrypted computer.

The issue is when I recovered from my Time Machine backup.

FaceTime and Messages now requires a app generated password.

I duly create the unique password. Enter into the FaceTime and Messages application.

I get a message that indicates that I need to contact AppleCare and provide a validation code that FaceTime and Messages created to verify my account.

Of course, this is during none business hours when I am trying to do this.

I call the next day and get transferred twice. Neither phone tech can assist as they have not heard of Apples new 2 step authentication. I read in other forums that Apple techs from AppleCare don't seem to be aware of the changes and what information is needed to verify accounts.

I was on the phone for nearly 40 minutes with no resolution.

Looking to see if anyone else had a similar experience?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 8:22 AM

There are no replies.

2 Step authentication requires call in for FaceTime and Messages and Apple can't verify validation code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.