Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I download an entirely new iTunes folder directly to an external hard drive?

Unfortunately my hard drive to my last pc laptop took a dive a few months ago. Lost everything not backed up. Since then I realized we really don't need a computer anymore since my entire family only uses our iDevices (aside from my hubby's "work only" computer). So other than a few school reports, random web surfing and to back up our iDevices to iTunes I purchased a little Hp Stream 11 for a mere 200.00. Perfect for us. Well not realizing that the HP Stream's 32GB hard drive will not get me anywhere with 3 - 64gb iPhones, an iPad 1, an iPad mini, an iPod touch and an iPod touch 5.

So to reserve as much space on the laptop as I can, before I download any part of itunes (and obviously before I back up our iDevices, can I get an 1 or 2 Tb external hard drive and directly put all of iTunes right on it? I don't even want iTunes on my pc, can the whole entire iTunes program/library/folder all go directly onto an external hard drive? If so how would I go about directly doing that? All other questions regarding this are about transferring from pc to an external hd, but I want to start the whole iTunes onto the external from scratch. Any ideas if this could or would work? Thanks!

btw, our Wifi is a horribly slow DSL that bounces in and out, and it is the only thing available where I live. I tried to back up to icloud and honestly it was a huge fail. Not sure I even want our backups on it anyway 🙂

Hp Stream 11-OTHER, Windows 8

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 8:22 AM

1 reply

Can I download an entirely new iTunes folder directly to an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.