Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Server 4.0: TimeMachine Backup Disconnected

Hello. I'd lost connection to the TimeMachine backup on the Mac OS X Server. I reconnected/authenticated, and it wants to do another new full backup. There's no history of my past backups. Any suggestions?

I've restarted the server. -Same result.

I restarted the client. -Same result.

I removed the backup disk and reconnected. -Same result.

Thank you in advance.

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 8:29 AM

4 replies

Feb 27, 2015 10:29 AM in response to yoHomie

It has happened to me a few times as well. Those times I have been told by the client that somethings gone wrong with the backup and that the verification doesn't add up and therefore a new full backup needs to be done. I have found no other way than doing a new baseline. On the other hand I haven't digged too deep into the matter.

Mar 2, 2015 11:39 AM in response to Tearjerker

Thanks T! The link you'd provided was very helpful and helped to resolve my issue. I am totally stoked right now. There were a lot of days being backed up. It would have been a shame to have to start all over.

I read the whole thing, then started at the Green Box to step #3, then the Blue Box, and done. The "sudo tmutil inherit backup" worked for me.

The only hitch I had was that I had an "Invalid Target" at the Terminal command line -which I figured out that you'll have to use the same account that you'd used to connect to the authenticated disk/volume.

Thanks again!!! 😎

Server 4.0: TimeMachine Backup Disconnected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.