Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ALAC to ACC Conversion During a Sync

In the past I imported most of the iTunes music on my Mac is in ALAC format. The ACC formats are pretty good now so I don't mind using 256 ACC.

Will iTunes convert my ALAC music on my Mac to 256 ACC on my iPhone. If so, how do I configure it to do that?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 9:58 AM

14 replies

Feb 27, 2015 10:50 AM in response to Chris CA

Thank's Chris.

I'm not sure what you meant by "Click the Summary tab." I browsed all the menus in iTunes on my Mac and the Music app on my iPhone and found no "Summary" tab.

However, I did find the option by clicking on the iPhone icon, which only appeared when I plugged in my iPhone.

Updating this option is a Catch-22. Changing that sync option is only available when I plug in my iPhone (without Wi-Fi sync checked) and once I plug in my iPhone it starts the sync.

I had set it to 256 ACC a while ago so the compression on my iPhone in good shape.

Comments?

Mar 12, 2015 5:48 AM in response to Chris CA

I thought of how to get around the Catch 22 that it will start converting and downloading music files before one can set this parameter.

If that happens, one can to a full restore to the iPhone. That will have the added advantage of converting all the higher-quality formatted files to the format specified.

Mar 12, 2015 5:59 AM in response to hands4

I thought of how to get around the Catch 22 that it will start converting and downloading music files before one can set this parameter.

What catch-22? If it's not set, nothing gets converted.

Turn the option On or Off and click Sync.If that happens, one can to a full restore to the iPhone. That will have the added advantage of converting all the higher-quality formatted files to the format specified.

No need to restore anything. Just click Sync.

What is the regular advantage to restoring the iPhone, as opposed to the "added advantage" of converting the songs?

Mar 12, 2015 8:58 AM in response to hands4

If the option convert when syncing is selected, it will only convert if the bit rate is higher (whic is why it says, Convert higher bit rate songs to...)

If you have 256 KBPS AAC selected as the convert option and you add 128 kbps MP3, the file will be sync'd as is. No conversion.

If you have ALAC file, it will be converted.

Mar 12, 2015 9:49 AM in response to Chris CA

I was referring to cases where the Mac iTunes music had 256 ACC bitrates or higher (ALAC) and the music that was on the iPhone had lower bit rates (128 MP3). Assume you previously downloaded all or some of the music with 128 MP3 compression and now you are changing to 256 ACC. I assume an iTunes sync would not replace the 128 MP3 iPhone versions with 256 ACC ones, while a restore would take care of that. Correct?

I see the flaw in my Catch 22 scenario. I had assumed "Automatically Sync when this iPhone is connected" was on. If that is the case, iTunes will start downloading before you can change the conversion rate. The workaround is to turn that off before changing the conversion rate, then turn it on again.

Mar 12, 2015 10:28 AM in response to hands4

hands4 wrote:

I was referring to cases where the Mac iTunes music had 256 ACC bitrates or higher (ALAC) and the music that was on the iPhone had lower bit rates (128 MP3). Assume you previously downloaded all or some of the music with 128 MP3 compression and now you are changing to 256 ACC. I assume an iTunes sync would not replace the 128 MP3 iPhone versions with 256 ACC ones,

Correct since they are different files in iTunes.

while a restore would take care of that. Correct?

Yes but you don't need to restore. If you removed the 128 MP3 in iTunes, just sync. It will remove the MP3 version and put the new version on.

I see the flaw in my Catch 22 scenario. I had assumed "Automatically Sync when this iPhone is connected" was on. If that is the case, iTunes will start downloading before you can change the conversion rate. The workaround is to turn that off before changing the conversion rate, then turn it on again.

Or simply make the change, stop the sync and restart the sync.

Or let it complete the sync then resync it.

Mar 12, 2015 11:21 AM in response to hands4

We are getting closer, but still not quite agreeing.

You said, "you don't need to restore. If you removed the 128 MP3 in iTunes, just sync. It will remove the MP3 version and put the new version on."

Assume there is no 128 MP3 song in iTunes on the Mac to delete. The 128 MP3 version on the iPhone came from downconverting during a previous download.

"Or simply make the change, stop the sync and restart the sync.

Or let it complete the sync then resync it."

Your second statement is not consistent with your first, which was, "I assume an iTunes sync would not replace the 128 MP3 iPhone versions with 256 ACC ones."

Are you suggesting I go through the files on the iPhone, one by one, and delete all that have compression quality less than 256 ACC? That would be tedious. I just plugged in my iPhone, selected Music, and then tried to sort the Kind column by clicking on "Kind". It did not sort them by "Kind". It starts listing ACC, then lists MPEG, then lists ACC again. As far as I can tell I can only sort on Genres, Artists, and Albums. Even if I could sort on Kind, it would not sort on Bitrate, so I could not group the 256 ACC files.

So I state again, there is no non-tedious method to upgrade the 128 MP3 files on the iPhone, except for deleting and syncing the all of the music on the iPhone.

Mar 12, 2015 1:43 PM in response to hands4

Okay. Just so we are clear...

Download is when you download something from the internet.

Sync is when you put items on onto the iPhone.

Also, MP3 is not the same as any music file. It is a specific type of music file.

Converting when syncing will convert to AAC.

hands4 wrote:

We are getting closer, but still not quite agreeing.

You said, "you don't need to restore. If you removed the 128 MP3 in iTunes, just sync. It will remove the MP3 version and put the new version on."

Assume there is no 128 MP3 song in iTunes on the Mac to delete. The 128 MP3 version on the iPhone came from downconverting during a previous download.

So you previously enabled the option to convert higher bit rate files? They are 128 kbps AAC.

If so, just change the setting to 256 kbps AAC and sync.

iTunes will replace the items on the iPhone (assuming you had previously set & convert to 128 kbps AAC).

ALAC to ACC Conversion During a Sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.