Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix my resolution problem

Hello. Here is my issue. It is driving me crazy.

I produce short films. Generally these short films are shared online. Therefore a final product produced in H.264 is sufficient. This also allows me to have a small enough file size for sharing. I have never had resolution issues with this codec. Most of the time it can be watched on a TV without issue. Recently I was trying to create a highlight reel of the work I've done over the last two years. I pulled my finished products (created in H.264) into a new event. When I was done editing I produced my highlight reel in H.264 720p again. The resolution is absolutely terrible. I mean, really bad. I've tried sharing it in much larger file sizes, but I have the same result. Please help!

Thanks.

iMac

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 7:46 AM

4 replies

Feb 27, 2015 8:15 AM in response to Character D Films

Click the little triangle at the top right of the viewer, and choose Optimized/Original. (Note: the Better Quality/Better Performance switch affects only playback, not export; but the switch between Proxy and Optimized/Original DOES affect what is exported)

Note: you only really need to create proxies if your computer cannot play the original or optimized media fast enough. You may need them only for some clips and not others, for example if you create a multicam clip, your drive may have to handle four or more streams at the same time, so proxies are handy. But I find that in most cases proxies are not needed.

Granted, I don't do big fancy stuff, but I can edit perfectly well in my mac using original media from an AVCHD camera or from my iphone.

My advice concerning transcoded media (i.e. proxy or optimized) is to NOT do it on import. Only do it if and when you realize you actually need it.

User uploaded file

Feb 27, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Character D Films

Character D Films wrote:

I do have "create proxy media" selected for import purposes. Does this mean that i'm exporting the proxy media? If so, how do I fix this?

And to answer your question in a more direct way: the simple fact of creating proxies does NOT mean you are exporting proxies. This is determined by the setting as in the picture I posted above.

How to fix my resolution problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.