Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone suddenly unable to get e-mail. Please help!

For no apparent reason, my iPhone 5s on iOS 8.1.2 is suddenly unable to get e-mail.

It was fine yesterday but today, it consistently says: 'Checking for e-mail', then 'Updated yesterday'. I had not changed anything...

I've restarted the phone several times today.

I have now deleted and re-created my e-mail account. Now, I have no e-mail although, if I send one, I can see it on my other devices which suggests the setup is OK…. I have a btinternet account

I'm getting desperate now….

Please can anyone help…?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 12:27 PM

Is this only receiving email that you have a problem with? Can you receive on other devices? Are you seeing an error message at all when you try to get mail? What kind of account is this, POP, IMAP? There are two different mail servers with an email account, your incoming server and the outgoing or SMTP server. Is seems you can send mail, but cannot receive. Do you have more than one email account on the phone? Check the incoming server settings to ensure that you have the correct settings recommended by the email provider.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2015 12:27 PM in response to KEP27

Is this only receiving email that you have a problem with? Can you receive on other devices? Are you seeing an error message at all when you try to get mail? What kind of account is this, POP, IMAP? There are two different mail servers with an email account, your incoming server and the outgoing or SMTP server. Is seems you can send mail, but cannot receive. Do you have more than one email account on the phone? Check the incoming server settings to ensure that you have the correct settings recommended by the email provider.

Feb 27, 2015 12:37 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi ChrisJ4203,

Thanks for your quick response…. I'll try to answer your questions in order….

Everything else on the phone is working fine.

I can receive e-mail on my MacBook fine, just received a notification re. your response. My iPad was quite slow just now but that is fine too...

Account is IMAP. I compared the settings between iPad and iPhone a little earlier.

I only have one e-mail account on the phone

I checked that the incoming mail server - mail.btinternet.com was correct - according to BT's website. This is also verified on the iPad...

I am really at a loss to know what to do now……

iPhone suddenly unable to get e-mail. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.