Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s or 6?

This year my phone contract runs out, and I am currently on android, but to be honest I am sick of the amount of problems present on android these days, the OS felt more polished in 2.3 than it does at 5.0, so I am thinking of getting an iPhone, but I don't know which one.

This will be my first iPhone ever, But I know how to use iOS and I also have a Mac.

But my questions are about should I get a iPhone 5s or 6 with my usage senarios.

1 - Pages, I use pages for my course work, both note taking and actual essay writing, so I need pages, which again led me to iPhone, but as I have no experience with iPhones, which one will actually work best, I would mostly use Pages on iPhone for quick note taking, nothing big.

2 - Battery, I like to have decent battery on my phone, and to be honest I even think iPhones reputation for battery could pass androids.

So on each model how long would they last, I wouldn't be using the phone outside of Texts, Calls, Web browsing, Sat nav (When needed which is not too often), Spotify, Email and of course Pages.

3 - Lifespan, So I like to have new operating systems when they are launched, and in the UK contracts are normally 24 months, so how long does the iPhone 5s have left? given that the iPhone 4 seemed to last forever, Or should I simply just go for the iPhone 6 if it drops in price.

4 - Price, there is a massive difference in contract+phone prices between models, iPhone 5s is £28 p/m, the iPhone 6 is £38, which is out of my range, I never find that contracts are worth over £30.

So with this which would you recommend, I am not too bothered about latest and greatest hardware, and more about the software underneath, the experience is also something I look for in a system, hence why I left Windows to OSX, I don't need the phone for much outside of my needs, I don't play games on the phone either, the Mac is there for my needs.

Thanks for your suggestions

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 11:59 AM

1 reply

Feb 27, 2015 12:18 PM in response to XDroidie

Welcome to the support community.

I have a 4S (backup phone, unused), a 5C (my employer-provided phone) and a 5S (my personal phone). The only thing that would prompt me to move to a 6 would be a little more screen size (in my opinion, the 6 Plus is entirely too big to be a phone) or once the iOS reaches a point where the 5S won't support it. Given the history of the iPhone, I expect the 5 series to remain viable for a number of years.

In terms of battery life, I don't have a lot to offer there. I work from home, where my phone can be plugged in any time during the day. If I am in my car, my phone is plugged in there, too. However, it is only occasionally that I need to charge my phone during the course of the day, even if I leave it unplugged the entire day.

However, I think the key criterion for you is cost. If you are going to save that much per month, that can go a long way. With the information you have given us, you are probably better off with a 5S at this time.

iPhone 5s or 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.