Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I redeemed an iTunes card but i am still prompted for billing info when trying to purchase music. Why is my iTunes card not being redeemed in this case?

I redeemed an iTunes card but i am still prompted for billing info when trying to purchase music even though my account has sufficient funds. Why is my purchase not being taken out of the iTunes card i just redeemed?

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 10:06 AM

1 reply

Feb 28, 2015 1:17 PM in response to Shannel23

Hello Shannel23,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If this is your first time using the iTunes Store with the Apple ID, then a payment source is required to be added to your account. Once you add the payment type, you can then change the payment type to none, leaving just your gift card.

If you're using the store for the first time with an existing Apple ID, you must provide a payment method. After you create the account, you can change your payment information to None.

If you're creating a new Apple ID, you might be able to create an account without entering your credit card details.

Why can’t I select None when I edit my Apple ID payment information? - Apple Support

The way iTunes Store bills sales is that if you have a balance in the iTunes Store, such as a gift card, that source is debited first. After that depletes, your payment information on file is used for payments.

How iTunes Store purchases are billed - Apple Support

Have a good one,

Alex H.

Take care,

Alex H.

I redeemed an iTunes card but i am still prompted for billing info when trying to purchase music. Why is my iTunes card not being redeemed in this case?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.