Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you extract an .MP3 from an .MP4 file using iTunes?

I have figured out how to import a home video into iTunes (video taken with my iPhone 5S), and have figured out how to use iTunes to convert the video (recorded in Quicktime) to .MP4 format ... but I cannot then use iTunes to "Create a New Version" and have it allow me to select .MP3 as a choice. It's on the list, but it's greyed-out. Apparently, on a MAC, if you hold down the "Option" key, it will then allow you to select the .MP3 format, but pressing "ALT " (generally the PC equivalent) only closes the drop-down menu on me. So ... what do I do here?

I really don't want to have to download a different program to do this, especially since it seems that iTunes can ... I just need to know how.

iPhone 5s, Windows 8, iTunes Version 12.1.1.4 (64 bit)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 12:24 PM

Hold down the SHIFT key as you select File > Create New Version, the Convert to MP3 ... option will be active.

4 replies

Mar 3, 2015 11:54 AM in response to hhgttg27

THANK YOU.

I tried all manner of other keys ... but didn't think to try Shift. Or if I did, I didn't hold it down BEFORE clicking on File.

(For anyone else reading this ... it's important that you hold down the Shift key before clicking on File because iTunes won't allow you to choose .MP3 as an option if you try to hold down the Shift key after the File menu is already open.)

How do you extract an .MP3 from an .MP4 file using iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.