Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm a video editor working primarily in FCP7 and just purchased the latest Mac Pro running Yosemite ? Does anyone know if any options have become available for running FCP7 on this platform ?

I'm a video editor working primarily in FCP7 and just purchased the latest Mac Pro running Yosemite ? Does anyone know if any options have become available for running FCP7 on this platform ?

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Just purchased my Mac Pro 2/10/15

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 11:15 AM

3 replies

Feb 27, 2015 3:24 PM in response to tmorga01

FCP7 will run under Yosemite, however it runs best under Snow Leopard. Quicktime 7 isn't included with Yosemite, you will need to install it as your application needs to use that version. FCP7 isn't supported under Mavericks or Yosemite, so if something breaks, you're pretty much on your own.

Since you bought a new computer, you can't downgrade your OS. You might want to consider moving forward to FCP X or another video editor in the future. Until then, just keep an eye out for irregularities as you work to determine if a software upgrade is warranted.

Feb 28, 2015 2:23 AM in response to pmiles

It would "run" (more like Sunday stroll or walk) if you installed Snow Leopard in a VM. Especially if you have 6-core (and would help to have 6 or 8 cores anyway if you were able to and intend to make best use of nMP for video editing).

If you "classic" Mac Pro was 2009 or later, adding two AMD graphic cards, upgrading the processor to 8-core 3.xGHz would have gotten you a FCP-X capable machine and still dual boot and use Snow Leopard as needed.

Any Mac Pro can now use 1000MB/sec SSD PCIe blade to boot from and/or for scratch and editing to help improve work flow.

SSD Blade Drive for "Classic" Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.