Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iCloud Photo Library allow family sharing?

I recently spend a lot of time and effort moving our family of 4 to a Family Sharing program. It works nicely for music and apps.

Now that there is this new option for iPhoto I am seriously considering using it to store all our photos (right now we are using a local NAS). Problem is, it appears, is that everyone now has their own account and therefore cannot point iPhoto to the same account for iPhoto.

I suppose to reasoning for this would be that if I'm going to spend $20/Month to get 1TB of storage, I'm not going to be doing it for every account - just the one main family account.

Thoughts?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 12G RAM / 1TB Internal / 4TB XRAID

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 12:07 PM

Thoughts? Yes!

1 - You state that you have OS X 10.6.8 - Is that correct? what version of iPhoto?

2 - iCloud Photo Library is not available on the Mac (it will be when Photos is released probably with OS X 10.10.3 later this year) Uitil it is released and available no one knows what exactly it will be

3 - You appear to be operating very dangerously as the iphoto library can not be on a NAS (It must be on a drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) ) and it can not be accessed via a network (you must access the iPhoto library using a hard wire connection like FireWire, USB or ThunderBolt)

(right now we are using a local NAS)

So you need to provide details

LN

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2015 12:07 PM in response to CRoss

Thoughts? Yes!

1 - You state that you have OS X 10.6.8 - Is that correct? what version of iPhoto?

2 - iCloud Photo Library is not available on the Mac (it will be when Photos is released probably with OS X 10.10.3 later this year) Uitil it is released and available no one knows what exactly it will be

3 - You appear to be operating very dangerously as the iphoto library can not be on a NAS (It must be on a drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) ) and it can not be accessed via a network (you must access the iPhoto library using a hard wire connection like FireWire, USB or ThunderBolt)

LN

Feb 27, 2015 12:21 PM in response to CRoss

Now that there is this new option for iPhoto I am seriously considering using it to store all our photos (right now we are using a local NAS).

There is no new option for iPhoto. It's there for the new Photos.app which is released as part of the upcoming 10.10.3 update. iPhoto is end-of-life'd and is not developed any more.

Feb 27, 2015 1:23 PM in response to LarryHN

Apologies - I need to update the footer. Forgot it was automatically attached.

1 - Newest OS, 10.10.2. Newest iPhoto, 9.6.

2 - Agreed and understood. I had the NAS failure the other day, swapped out a disk and am back in action. This was more of a future question. I don't feel like local RAID is appropriate anymore given the cloud options out there... and those to come.

3 - Again, I provided insufficient information. I have a NAS to which I have offline storage of iPhoto. I execute a weekly cron job which rsync's to the NAS - copying a bunch of data. iPhoto, iTunes music, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my clearly obtuse post.

Hopefully the new data is useful.

LarryHN wrote:

Thoughts? Yes!

LN

Feb 27, 2015 1:28 PM in response to Yer_Man

Again, I hope my additional information clears up my setup a bit.

let me rephrase - "Now since there is a future alternative to iPhoto, (iPhoto Cloud or Photos Cloud, or whatever marketing determines it to be) does anyone know if it will work with Family Sharing?"

You can understand why - 5 accounts, 7 devices - all capturing photos. I want them to end up in the same library - and then replicate to the cloud for long term backup. If it does not work with Family Sharing, then there is absolutely spending $/month on an Apple cloud service - I should just go with a generic cloud storage provider and do what I do (more or less) with backing up to the NAS - except it goes to the cloud (a.k.a. someone else managing the NAS)

Terence Devlin wrote:

Now that there is this new option for iPhoto I am seriously considering using it to store all our photos (right now we are using a local NAS).

There is no new option for iPhoto. It's there for the new Photos.app which is released as part of the upcoming 10.10.3 update. iPhoto is end-of-life'd and is not developed any more.

Feb 27, 2015 2:56 PM in response to CRoss

If all of you are running Yosemite and the new Photos app when it is released AND are all signed in to the same iCloud ID (Apple ID) then all of you could share the same online library. However, all of you would be using the same email address, messages, Contacts, etc. There would be absolutely no privacy.

Currently there is a way to share photos amount multiple users and that is to create a Shared Photo Stream and invite whom you want to view and use.

User uploaded file

It can be set to allow the invitees to be able to post additional photos and add comments:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 2, 2015 7:54 AM in response to Old Toad

I suppose what I was after would be a way to allow photos to sync to a different account in the same way you can have multiple calendars, multiple eMails and multiple contacts. And, in truth, the way Family Sharing allow you all to buy from the card in an authorized account.

They (Apple) have done a good job in separating different features from the main AppleID / iCloud account so far - I'm hoping they support photos in this way.

I'll look in to your idea of shared stream - that would certainly work for reading.

I suppose only time will tell with what the new feature allows.

Appreciate your feedback so far, OT.

Will iCloud Photo Library allow family sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.