Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the best Gigabit Ethernet ADSL2 modem to use with the new Apple Extreme router?

I Have upgraded to the new Apple Airport Extreme & need to update my old ADSL modem as it only has 10/100 ethernet. I don't want to spend a great deal as I will hopefully be upgrading to fibre later in the year. I find it strange that Apple have never sold them through the Apple Store.

Thanks in advance.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM,

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 10:54 AM

6 replies

Feb 27, 2015 11:13 AM in response to t.gardner

It would make no sense to recommend a modem that your Internet Service Provider (ISP) does not support, so your first task is to contact your ISP for a list of "approved" modems for use with their service.

Once we have the list, it will be easy to eliminate the non-Gigabit models, since most, if not all, will be not be Gigabit rated.

After all, the fastest speed that any ADSL provider might be able to deliver is maybe 30-40 Mbps. Don't think that you will need 1,000 Mbps capability in a modem for that type of connection.

Kind of like having a car that can go 1,000 miles per hour, but the streets are narrow, crooked, and won't allow much over 25 miles per hour.

Feb 27, 2015 2:23 PM in response to t.gardner

need to update my old ADSL modem as it only has 10/100 ethernet.

ADSL max speed is 24Mbps.. 1/4 of the 100Mbps speed of the modem..

The connection modem to airport is restricted by the ADSL not the fast ethernet.. all connections to the airport are gigabit.. and will talk to each other and the wireless in the airport at gigabit.. no slow down occurs because the modem is adsl and is running fast ethernet.

Even a gigabit port adsl modem.. it will go no faster.

So save your money and keep using what you have assuming it works ok still.

Feb 27, 2015 2:37 PM in response to t.gardner

Thank you for the advice, I understand that the whole network is hamstrung by the speed, or lack thereof, of the ADSL. I've had the Thomson Speedtouch 534i for a number of years & it is becoming a bit flaky. I was going to be buying a new modem anyway & figured I might as well try & get a Gigabit one. My ISP is Sky if this helps.

What's the best Gigabit Ethernet ADSL2 modem to use with the new Apple Extreme router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.