Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't print with iPhoto

I cannot print with iPhoto. When I select a photo, I click on 'File' in the menu bar and then click 'Print'. What happens next is the selected photo disappears and the rainbow windmill keeps on turning. Eventually a message appears on the screen which read, " Your system has run out of application memory. To avoid problems with your computer, quit any applications you are using." What this means is iPhoto is causing this issue as it attempts to print a photo. Can anyone tell me what is happening and how to fix it?

21.5" iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 11:56 AM

7 replies

Feb 27, 2015 2:27 PM in response to iQMan

With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e.:

• what version of iPhoto are you using?
  • what system version are you running?
  • how much free space on your boot drive?
  • how much RAM do you have?
  • what fixes have you tried?
  • where is your library located?
  • did you apply any updates or upgrades just prior to the problem occurring?
  • are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

User uploaded file

what type of Mac?

Download and run Etrecheck. Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here (and recommended by Apple Support personnel) in the ASC to help identify the more obvious culprits.

User uploaded file

Feb 27, 2015 3:20 PM in response to Old Toad

To answer your list:

- iPhoto 9.6 (910.29)

- OS X Yosemite V10.10.2

- 62 GB free on HD

- 8 GB Ram

- Fixes: rebooting computer. Not savvy enough to know anything else.

- How do I find where library is?

- Last update was 2/21 for printer. I did upload a large set of photos recently.

- iMac 21.5" mid 2010

- managed library.

Feb 28, 2015 11:02 AM in response to Old Toad

I found the library in the Pictures folder.

Regarding the Reset the printer solution, I was thinking this won't work because I can print with other applications except iPhoto. However I followed the reset the printer solution and I still get the same error. It doesn't work. For whatever reason iPhoto seems to be caught in a loop when it tries to print a photo.

Any other suggestions?

Feb 28, 2015 11:11 AM in response to iQMan

Hey Old Toad,

There was a another user that posted the same problem you replied to. I read it and think the problem has to do with my library. I had an issue uploading massive photos to iPhoto and had to rebuild my database. I think this messed up my library. Any thoughts how to repair it?

Feb 28, 2015 11:31 AM in response to iQMan

As a test launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? That will tell us if it's limited to just your library or wider spread. If the new library prints OK follow Larry's recommendation for rebuilding the library database.

Can't print with iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.