Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud is prompting me to keep contacts on Mac

My contacts reside on iCloud. The identical list appears on my MacBook, iPhone and iPad. Suddenly the other day, all of my contacts disappeared from my Mac. I had not changed any settings, so I don't understand why this happened.

I checked my phone. The contacts were still there.

I logged into iCloud and all of the contacts were still there. So I looked in System Preferences under iCloud and, sure enough, the box next to Contacts was unchecked. Mail, Reminders, etc. were all still checked. How on earth did that happen???? I don't remember going into SP for anything lately, but oh well. I checked the box again and Contacts immediately repopulated on my Mac.

I got busy with work and just noticed that I never quit iCloud in System Preferences. I need to do a restart. I tried to quit System Preferences, but it keeps prompting me, "Do you want to keep a copy of your contacts on this Mac? If you don't keep a copy on this Mac, all of your Contacts will be deleted from this Mac but will still be available on other devices using iCloud."

I clicked Keep Contacts, but it then asked me yet another question (I don't remember what that second question was but I said no and it reverted to the original question. I'm too chicken to click Keep Contacts again because I'm having second thoughts. So now I can't quit SP until I answer "Do you want to keep a copy of your contacts on this Mac?").

Do I really want a copy of contacts on my Mac, or do I want my contacts to reside in the Cloud so they will stay up to date on all of my devices? Do I select Keep Contacts or Delete from Mac? Neither seems right to me. I'm stumped and my computer is being very sluggish. I need to reboot.

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 11:47 AM

There are no replies.

iCloud is prompting me to keep contacts on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.