Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

heating andbattery drains

Hello

I just purchased an iphone 5s on december 2014 and i would like to know that all the 5s phones are having the same problem or their is some drawback in my phone.

actually the problem is that as soon as i start operating 3g network in this phone the phone starts heating within an half hour and also drains the battery too ealy.

my phone model is iphone 5s with 16 GB memory gold colour.

Thanks!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3, 16 GB golg colour

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 11:18 AM

2 replies

Apr 24, 2015 8:57 AM in response to zainuddin khan

After 4+ months of dealing with this data usage and battery drain problem that included 3 data captures of my wife's iMac, the trigger for us regarding the problems syncing with iCloud, and 5 hours of logs off my iPhone 6 to be analyzed by Apple engineers that included times my wife's computer was both on and off to demonstrate the difference in data usage and battery drain under those conditions, I can say with very reasonable certainty that the iOS 8.3 and corresponding Mac OS 10.10.3 update has solved the problem.

We have now been running for about 2 weeks and data usage with the iCloud Servers attempting to sync has dropped from a rate of 31 GBs to under 15 MBs per month. Yes, you read it right. We were burning 2000 times as much data doing absolutely nothing important on both of our phones, a 5s and a 6. Just imagine what that does to battery life! The 5s would last about 5 hours and the 6 was dead in less than 14.

The distasteful aspect of this process was how the engineers were quietly fixing the problem at the same time sending messages to my contact person within Apple that were dismissive in nature in the face of indisputable unreasonable results. I must say, this experience with the multiple times the engineers' responses were inappropriate put a little tarnish on the old Apple shine of the ‘It just works’ mantra. This was my first experience in 34 years that caused me to stop recommending Apple products without reservations and with a disclaimer.

Since the update solved the problem, then I can only conclude that there was a logic bug regarding the reaction within the process to the incoming data that was corrected. There was noting short of logging out of iCloud that circumvented the problem for us, Gator5000e and probably many others noted on other threads. I am not trying to imply that this is the cause of everyones battery use problem, but it is reasonable that it was a cause for many.

heating andbattery drains

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.