Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If a photo is removed from photos is it removed from an album it is in also?

iPhoto 9.6

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 11:18 AM

Yes

Albums (as events and photos and last "n" months, etc) are not places - they are ways to view photos in the library - remove the photo form the library and it can not be viewed from anywhere since it is gone

You are conceptually not understanding how a database works and you are things of a file based system - iphoto is a database and photos are not duplicated when you organize them

LN

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2015 11:18 AM in response to SABW

Yes

Albums (as events and photos and last "n" months, etc) are not places - they are ways to view photos in the library - remove the photo form the library and it can not be viewed from anywhere since it is gone

You are conceptually not understanding how a database works and you are things of a file based system - iphoto is a database and photos are not duplicated when you organize them

LN

Feb 27, 2015 3:00 PM in response to SABW

The Note below describes what's affected when a photo is deleted from different locations in the library:

Deleting Photos from an iPhoto Library

1 - from an Event or the Photos mode: select the photo(s) and use the Delete key to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the iPhoto Trash bin as follows:

User uploaded file

2 - from an album, smart album, book, slideshow, card, etc.: select the photo(s) and use the key combination of Command+Option+Delete to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the trash bin as above.

NOTE: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with only the Delete key only deletes that photo from that item. Deleting a photo from an Event deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

User uploaded file

Mar 1, 2015 2:01 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you. That was a big help. I understand the difference between organizing (albums) and the data base (photos).

However before I understood this, I created several albums and assigned a key word to the photos while I was in

albums not photos. Is there some way I can rectify my error?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.