Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is wrong with my MacBook Pro?

Hello, I am not sure if this is the right place to be posting this but I need help with my computer. I left a MacBook Pro 2010 17" in a building that turned out didn't have heating for 2 days. Temperature reached below freezing. Computer screen is blank now and won't start up. The battery is charged and the disc drive starts up when the power button is pushed. The small light on the front of the computer is on but can be shut off when the power button is held down a few seconds. I think it is a problem with the motherboard but am not sure. If it is, how easily can it be replaced and what is the certainty that this will get the computer running again? I really need to have this fixed as I have over $8,000 of software on the machine. Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro, 2010 17"

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 12:17 PM

6 replies

Feb 27, 2015 2:47 PM in response to my ginger

Yes. This happened about a month ago and I have had no luck getting it warmed up and on. I have tried many times. I have a dual monitor set up for this machine and there is nothing coming from the other monitor when I plug it in. The other monitor is in working condition. But like I said, I can turn the computer on and off by holding down the power button, there's nothing on the screen though.

Feb 27, 2015 4:01 PM in response to jrr0987

Hi. There are not to many options left to try. You could try an SMC reset by holding down the Command/Option/Shift keys and power button for 10 seconds. Then while still pressing the power button hold down the Command R keys and see if it will come to screen and go to recovery. If none of this works you will have to make an appointment for apple to look at it. They do not charge to look it over and will give an estimate of the cost to fix.

What is wrong with my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.