Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backing up a windows 7 home premium laptop

Hello,

I have just purchased and installed a time capsule. It is being used wirelessly as my primary backup for my imac. I also have a windows 7 home premium laptop, and would like to back it up as well to the time capsule. I read about installing the airport utility, and most people are recommending Macrium Reflect to back up to a network drive. My question is, when I look at the Macrium Reflect free version, it does not show an option to restore, nor does it have encryption available? If I use the free version, will I be able to restore my laptop if needed? Will my backup be secure going over a wireless LAN?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Wondering if I should pay for the standard version, or for that matter just pay to upgrade to windows professional?

Thanks,

Laura

Apple TV

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 1:25 PM

Just to be clear.. when people ask for something free I would say Macrium Reflect..

I have used it and it works extremely well.. however you need to understand what you are getting.. that is whole disk backup. And whole disk restore.

Disk restore being whole disk is done from a CD with a linux or windows PE boot environment on it. And that is actually very easy .. the software is all included to make the disk.

This is not however how you do backups for a daily use machine.

To get incremental backup and restore you need to pay for it. This is fair enough, as the free version can then simply be upgraded by paying for a key.

There are so many backup programs for windows I cannot keep up now (since I changed over to Mac I don't even care).. but whatever is the recommend best backup software in the review sites.. buy that.. it has to have a feature to backup to network drives.. all do.

As an alternative to a free one, look at the genie timeline free version.

http://www.genie9.com/free_products/free_timeline.aspx

Expect to be harassed forevermore to pay them some money.

Free is only a marketing tool after all. I have never used this one. In fact the software I used for free is simple backup of your user folder.. and it created a winzip file on whatever drive you liked. So the idea is do a full disk backup and then just backup your user directory. This works extremely well if you use good file practice and store everything where you should.

Windows Professional is a poor upgrade for home premium if all you are after is MSbackup which must be the most pathetic backup software in the history of the universe. Don't even think about it. The only reason you buy pro is to have server login.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2015 1:25 PM in response to Saitta3

Just to be clear.. when people ask for something free I would say Macrium Reflect..

I have used it and it works extremely well.. however you need to understand what you are getting.. that is whole disk backup. And whole disk restore.

Disk restore being whole disk is done from a CD with a linux or windows PE boot environment on it. And that is actually very easy .. the software is all included to make the disk.

This is not however how you do backups for a daily use machine.

To get incremental backup and restore you need to pay for it. This is fair enough, as the free version can then simply be upgraded by paying for a key.

There are so many backup programs for windows I cannot keep up now (since I changed over to Mac I don't even care).. but whatever is the recommend best backup software in the review sites.. buy that.. it has to have a feature to backup to network drives.. all do.

As an alternative to a free one, look at the genie timeline free version.

http://www.genie9.com/free_products/free_timeline.aspx

Expect to be harassed forevermore to pay them some money.

Free is only a marketing tool after all. I have never used this one. In fact the software I used for free is simple backup of your user folder.. and it created a winzip file on whatever drive you liked. So the idea is do a full disk backup and then just backup your user directory. This works extremely well if you use good file practice and store everything where you should.

Windows Professional is a poor upgrade for home premium if all you are after is MSbackup which must be the most pathetic backup software in the history of the universe. Don't even think about it. The only reason you buy pro is to have server login.

Feb 27, 2015 1:40 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you so much! I get it now I thought I could do daily backups with the free version, but what you explained makes perfect sense! Daily backups to the TC is what I'm looking for. I want the laptop to backup similarly to how time machine works with my iMac. I'm an Apple junkie, and only have this windows laptop, because it was needed for computer classes I'm taking! If you have any recommendations on a program I can purchase for the windows 7 computer that will do wireless backups to a network drive like time machine, my ears are open !

thanks again,

laura

Feb 27, 2015 1:44 PM in response to Saitta3

It's been a few years since I have used it, but Genie Timeline Pro was by far the best backup software that I have used for a PC. If you are interested:

http://www.genie9.com/business/genie_timeline_pro/overview.aspx

It ain't cheap....about $60 for a single version, I believe.

In many respects, it is similar to Time Machine in that you can go back and pick up a file or restore your entire computer from a date in the past.

Among the other software programs that I have tried that cost nothing......the actual results were about equal to the original cost.

Corny.....but maybe you really get what you pay for here......in my opinion, (which is worth about as much as you paid to view this web page).

Feb 27, 2015 1:56 PM in response to Saitta3

The genie timeline is a TM like software.. it is fairly expensive though in licensed form.

Why not try the free version which I listed and see how it goes.. it is definitely going to do incrementals.

Otherwise do the usual google search for software reviews of best backup.

eg http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/software/3263573/13-best-backup-software- 2015-uk/

Doesn't matter if it is UK, US or Timbuktu..

In the end it is the same software and what is top on one list will be at or near top on another.

Pays your monies and buy Acronis True Image.. or look at some of the others there.

EaseUS Todo Backup Home

Or free version looks interesting.

backing up a windows 7 home premium laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.