Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime 10.4 on mac OSX 10.10.2 won't open quicktime 7.6.6 in a website

I have been going to some websites recently trying to see some videos. Instead of a thumbnail there is a puzzle piece and it says need to download Quicktime 7.6.6 or higher. I can't view the video. I am on a Mac desktop using OSX 10.10.2. The website has at the bottom "Made on a Mac". Can Quicktime for MAC not recognize Quicktime for Windows? How can I view these videos? It's very annoying that I can't open a Quicktime video when I have a MAC and Quicktime on my computer.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 1:10 PM

1 reply

Feb 27, 2015 1:55 PM in response to gdlb55

The website has at the bottom "Made on a Mac". Can Quicktime for MAC not recognize Quicktime for Windows?

Your question makes no sense. Both play multimedia content—there is no need for one to "recognize" the other.

How can I view these videos?

Do as you were instructed. Download and install the older QT 7 player app.

It's very annoying that I can't open a Quicktime video when I have a MAC and Quicktime on my computer.

The QT X player supports newer, more efficient codecs employing a "closed architecture" while QT 7 supports more codecs using an "open architecture." Basically any user can place encoded data compatible with his or her system's codec configuration in an MOV (QT generic file container. Unless you have the same codec support available, you cannot play such files. I.e., the site you visited may be using legacy or third-party codecs not supported by the Yosemite QT X embedded structures but which are supported by Yosemite's QT 7 embedded structure.

User uploaded file

Quicktime 10.4 on mac OSX 10.10.2 won't open quicktime 7.6.6 in a website

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.