Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine interface is stuck when u delete ALL the copies of some file.

Hello!

I found a curious bug in Time Machine of OS X Yosemite 10.10.2. When u delete ALL the TM copies of two or more files (one by one, NOT simulatenously) - the time machine interface gets stuck and only "pings" at every press of a key or mouse button.

The problem is that a dialog window (requesting ot confirm this action) appears BEYOND a window of TM interface! And u can do nothign to reach it to press "Confirm" button.

Ever before I just restarted the whole iMac, but recently I found that if you press a "Power" button to put your device into sleep mode and then wake it and login again - u will have the confirmation dialog window of Time Machine on the from of your desktop - no need to reboot!

So:

1) How to make a bug report

2) Please use this knowledge to your own benefit! =)

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2012

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 1:11 PM

7 replies

Feb 27, 2015 1:25 PM in response to Alejandro_64

The problem is that a dialog window (requesting ot confirm this action) appears BEYOND a window of TM interface! And u can do nothign to reach it to press "Confirm" button.

According to Apple Support, this is "normal and expected behavior."

When the window appears beyond the front window in Time Machine....

Cancel out of Time Machine

Now you can confirm the delete action

Feb 28, 2015 6:03 AM in response to Bob Timmons

How can this be "normal and expected behaviour" if Time Machine interface opens in mode when u cannot access any other windows, and "Cancel" button is inaccessible due to confirmation window being in the backgroud? And u cannot reach backgroud (or cancel out) because u cannot switch from a time machine interface to ay other windows due to the confirmation window being in background expectiing your action?

The bug is taht a xonfirmation windows apperas on the backgruon - where it is completely inaccessible. And u cannot cancel out a Time Machine window because no other windows are accessible from TM interface window - even Dock and Menu!

Time Machine is stuck in this case. Check it by yourself! It only "dings" when u try to press "Cancel" button

PS I'm talking NOT about the Time Machines settings window - but the interface itself, where you see backups and copies and where even Dock bar and Menu are inaccessble

Feb 28, 2015 6:03 AM in response to Alejandro_64

I cannot reproduce the issue that you are describing.

If I try to delete all versions of a file from Time Machine as a test, the confirmation window appears partially behind the main Time Machine window. When I click Cancel, Time Machine closes and the confirmation window now appears in the center of the screen to confirm.

it works the same way in Mavericks.

Feb 28, 2015 6:06 AM in response to Bob Timmons

It happens only when u try to delete copies of second or more file.

In my case I was deleting files containing vurtual machines of my Parallels. I deleted all the copies of 1.pvm and right after that tried to delete 2.pvm - and in that moment TM got stuck.

And I've come accross this problem before, but solved it with rebooting my machine

Time Machine interface is stuck when u delete ALL the copies of some file.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.