Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I update my contacts on my MacBook pro from my iPhone or iMac?

my contacts on my MacBook pro are out of date. How do I update them from my iPhone or Imac?

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 2:27 PM

Hey there dgt11,

I see that you wish to sync your contacts between your devices. The best way to do this will be through iCloud. If you are having issues with syncing your contacts to your devices using iCloud, you will want to follow the steps in this article:

Get help using iCloud Contacts - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ts3998

Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

-Braden

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2015 2:27 PM in response to dgt11

Hey there dgt11,

I see that you wish to sync your contacts between your devices. The best way to do this will be through iCloud. If you are having issues with syncing your contacts to your devices using iCloud, you will want to follow the steps in this article:

-Braden

Mar 3, 2015 8:45 AM in response to dgt11

Hey there dgt11,

It seems like you may have missed that section of the article I provided, so I will go ahead and highlight it for you:

OS X Lion or later

You can use these steps with Contacts on OS X Mountain Lion or later or Address Book on OS X Lion. After each step, check to see if the issue still exists.

Make sure iCloud Contacts is on

Choose Apple () > System Preferences, click iCloud, and select Contacts.

See which version of OS X you're using

Make sure that you're using OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later. Learn how to see which version of OS X you're using.

Check your Internet connection

• Try to go to www.apple.com. If you can't connect to the Internet, your iCloud contacts won't update in Contacts or Address Book. Get help with your Internet connection.
  • Open a secure website to see if you can access ports 80 and 443. Safari requires access to port 443 to push and fetch updates to and from the iCloud Contacts servers.

Check your account details

Choose Apple () > System Preferences, and click iCloud. Make sure that you're signed in to the same iCloud account that you're using on your other supported devices.

Refresh Contacts or Address Book

If recent changes don't appear in Contacts or Address Book, try to refresh by quitting and reopening the app.

Check your settings

Make sure that the contacts are syncing through iCloud and not through a third-party, such as Google or Yahoo. iCloud won't sync contacts that are associated with a different service.

1. Open Contacts (or Address Book on OS X Lion).
  2. Click All [iCloud Account Name] in the left sidebar.
  3. Search for the contact that wasn't syncing properly.
  4. If the contact isn't visible, then the contact exists in a third-party account, not iCloud.
  5. You can import the contact from a third-party account into iCloud.

If recent changes to contacts on OS X don't appear on your other devices and you're syncing contacts with multiple accounts on your device (iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo), make sure that iCloud is your default account for Contacts:

2. Choose Contacts > Preferences (or Address Book > Preferences on OS X Lion).
  3. On the General tab, make sure that your iCloud account is the default.

After setting up iCloud Contacts, you might need to quit and reopen Contacts or Address Book on your Mac. Then make sure that you set up your account correctly in Contacts or Address Book:

2. Choose Contacts > Preferences (or Address Book > Preferences
    on OS X Lion).
  3. Click Accounts.
  4. Make sure that your iCloud account has the correct name in the Apple ID field.

Turn iCloud Contacts off and back on

1. Quit Contacts (or Address Book on OS X Lion).
  2. Choose Apple () > System Preferences and click iCloud.
  3. Deselect Contacts.
  4. Click Keep Contacts.
  5. Close System Preferences and wait about a minute.
  6. Open System Preferences and choose iCloud.
  7. Select Contacts.
  8. Open Contacts (or Address Book).

Restart your computer

Restart your computer and check the issue.

Cheers,

Braden

How do I update my contacts on my MacBook pro from my iPhone or iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.