Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate 2TB Expansion Desktop Drive not detected

Hi there,

I'm having an issue with my Seagate 2TB Expansion Desktop Drive. I've been using it as backup storage for about a year and a half and today when I plugged it in to my Macbook Pro, the desktop icon that would ordinarily show up was nowhere to be seen. The only place it seems to be detected is in Disk Utility which tells me that it cannot be verified or repaired. I tried mounting it through disk utility as well with no results. When attempting to verify the drive itself, I get this message:

Verifying partition map for “Seagate Expansion Desk Media”

Checking prerequisitesChecking the partition list

Checking for an EFI system partition

Checking the EFI system partition’s size

Checking the EFI system partition’s file system

Checking all HFS data partition loader spaces

Checking booter partitions

Checking Core Storage Physical Volume partitions

The partition map appears to be OK

But when I try to Verify the Subheading (Partition) I get this:

Verifying volume “disk2s2”Checking file system

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.

Invalid file or directory ID found

The volume Cut and Paste 02 could not be verified completely.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

And when I attempt to repair it I get this:

Verify and Repair volume “disk2s2”

Checking file system

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.Invalid file or directory ID found

The volume Cut and Paste 02 could not be verified completely.

Volume repair complete.

Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

I've tried plugging it in to my girlfriend's PC and my Asus Media Player with similar results. The Drive is detected but the Files and Documents seem unreachable or gone. I'm fairly certain it hasn't had any physical damage done to it and seems to be running fine (quietly humming along with blue indicator light on). The last time I had it working, I was streaming movies on the Media Player and the only thing I can think is that I may have unplugged it without turning the player off first. Otherwise it is seldom used or moved and so I can't imagine what may have gone wrong. Disk Warrior seems like a good choice for a fix but it's a little on the expensive side and I would be kicking myself if I found out there was a cheaper option or worse, if it didn't resolve the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 2:25 PM

Hi. I'm sorry there is nothing cheaper. Disk warrior is the best bet if you are trying to save your files on it. If it is savable disk warrior can do it.

7 replies

Seagate 2TB Expansion Desktop Drive not detected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.