Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Time Capsule Explosion

hi.

oh well... today was a normal working day and suddenly the AirPort Time Capsule issued a very loud explosive sound... then the electricity of my office goes out (electricity breakers out). the sounds was similar like an condensator explosion. (no burning smell) that really scare me!

the device is only a month old. still have a warranty... but... what about my backups? I don't want to send it back to the seller (a marketplace on amazon) with the idea that anyone can see my data. and I cannot format the HDD because the AirPort Time Capsule is totally dead...

my question, is there another way to apply the warranty? without having to send the HDD?

any comments about a similar experience will be appreciated. thanks.

Mac OS X Lion Server-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 3:41 PM

2 replies

Feb 27, 2015 3:52 PM in response to the acid house

The new ones die at alarming rate but don't go bang.. that is unusual but will happen on odd occasion..

My first TC was dead inside a week.

You should be able to take it straight to apple store for replacement under warranty.

Sorry there is no way to recover or delete your backups.. but Apple do treat the disk as something that needs wiping or crushing. I have never heard yet of data of customer equipment returned for warranty purposes being exploited. It is not like iCloud where people wanted those personal files of celebs.. and where the very nature of the cloud is everything has to be available.. hardware is much easier to track and wipe.

Feb 27, 2015 4:11 PM in response to the acid house

Apple has always considered the Time Capsule a sealed unit, so they will replace the Time Capsule in the event that the product fails during the warranty period, or under AppleCare.

Unfortunately, you really have no option except to return the defective Time Capsule and trust that it will be disposed of properly, and the hard drive destroyed. As far as I know and have seen looking at the forums, no user has ever experienced any issues when they have returned a defective Time Capsule.

Opening up the Time Capsule will void the warranty, so if the seller or service agent detects that the Time Capsule has been opened, the warranty will be void on the product. No one can tell you how closely the defective Time Capsule will be inspected.

If you cannot take the Time Capsule to an Apple Store, please contact Apple Support. http://www.genie9.com/business/genie_timeline_pro/overview.aspx

AirPort Time Capsule Explosion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.