Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Poor graphics performance on Macbook Pro with windows 7 bootcamp

I have a 13" Non-Retina Machbook Pro with Intel HD 4000 Graphics, purchased around 2 years ago. I installed Bootcamp for certain assignments for school, running Windows 7, and started playing videogames on it. I played Dark Souls and Chivalry, mainly, and both ran reliably at a pretty mediocre framerate but with decent graphics settings. I picked up Dark Souls 2 in the summer, and was able to run it and medium-high graphics with decent framerate. several months later, after not having played on Windows for a while, I came back to Dark Souls 2, but found that the game would run with this strange, pulse-y lag, like everything would animate quickly for a moment before pausing and continue again. the framerate itself was normal, it would just stutter constantly. (about one pause per second) and it wasn't a complete freeze, either. The game would move very slowly for a moment instead of freezing.

Anyway I was surprised and decided to test it with Chivalry. Same Problem. Kingdoms of Amalur, same problem. All of these were windows only so I decided to compare something that could run on both platforms. I tested it with league of legends - Mac side: Medium-high graphics with 60 fps. Windows side: Low graphics with pulsing lag and 30fps.

I read through some articles and found something about SMC reset. Tried that. No effect.

Then I updated my drivers. No effect.

Any idea what's wrong with my windows-side graphics?

MacBook Pro, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 1:38 PM

2 replies

Feb 27, 2015 2:08 PM in response to Swanijam

I have Windows 7 Pro Boot Camped on my Mac Mini (late 2012) HD 4000 as well. Nvidia driver. On a graphics intense game of mine I have learned to just get by. Unfortunately using Nvidia or other graphics driver updates through Windows Update is the best you can do. I would not attempt or recommend a newer graphics driver from the manufacture website. You may end up rendering your Windows unusable. Windows 7 has great benefits on a Mac, but, limited user options. One of my graphics intense programs had to be found and purchased from the App Store. Windows version just would not run correctly. If you are stuck with the RAM that came with your MBP, you may want to upgrade to 8 or the full 16 GB of RAM which may help. Otherwise I find Windows to run quite well. I use it for DVD playback and Media Center which runs great. I have 4 GB of RAM. Cheers!

Poor graphics performance on Macbook Pro with windows 7 bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.