Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro upgrade ?

I own a macbook pro late 2011

I love it

Yosemite up to date, 8 gig RAM

I think to upgrade my computer by purchasing following

an SSD

(IF107-125-2 - 512 GB Solid State Drive / Upgrade Kit $ 294.95)

and install

16 gig of RAM

(IF111-041-1 - PC3-10600 8GB RAM Chip / New $ 189.90)

My question is worth the investment?

Performance (speed) of the computer you it'll be better?

thanks for your advise

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), ( 8 Gig Ram )

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 4:05 PM

Last summer, I tricked out my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) with 16GB and a 1TB SSD.

It SCREAMS! 😮

So, YES, it is well worth it!

I used a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB I got from Newegg.com

and I got my 16GB RAM upgrade from Crucial.com

I used an external SATA docking station and Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my existing boot disk and Recovery Partition to the SSD

Then I installed the SSD using instructions from iFixIt.com (I do own an anti-static wrist strap to avoid static discharge damage).

PS. Just watch your CPU temp, as now that you are no longer waiting for slow disk I/O you CPU can keep busy, and thus get hotter faster. 😁

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2015 4:05 PM in response to Ticla

Last summer, I tricked out my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) with 16GB and a 1TB SSD.

It SCREAMS! 😮

So, YES, it is well worth it!

I used a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB I got from Newegg.com

and I got my 16GB RAM upgrade from Crucial.com

I used an external SATA docking station and Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my existing boot disk and Recovery Partition to the SSD

Then I installed the SSD using instructions from iFixIt.com (I do own an anti-static wrist strap to avoid static discharge damage).

PS. Just watch your CPU temp, as now that you are no longer waiting for slow disk I/O you CPU can keep busy, and thus get hotter faster. 😁

macbook pro upgrade ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.