Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adjustments in computer settings to improve loading of YouTube videos

My question may be completely misguided. If so, it stems from my slender knowledge of the entire process. I have a friend who cannot adequately open the YouTube links I send her. I'm wondering why, and I'm also wondering if she might improve things by some simple changes in her computer settings. I believe that YouTube videos are "streamed" and that some ccmputer/Internet capabilities are inadequate for the task of viewing long, streaming videos. That's fine, but what about "loading"? One is constantly confronted by this term while downloading something from the Internet. My question is, once something is downloaded into a computer, shouldn't it be ready for viewing? In other words, if a five-minute video takes one-hour to download, does the one-hour downloading period make a difference? Isn't the fact that it has been downloaded the only important thing? Further, what, if anything, can the computer owner do to improve/make possible the video viewing experience?

OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 3:10 PM

16 replies

Feb 27, 2015 4:58 PM in response to Niku

It looks like my error was in thinking that when my YouTube screen said, "loading" it meant that it was being downloaded into my hard drive. This wold mean, of course, that when the "loading" was finished, it would be in my hard drive. So, if the YouTube "loading" is not synonymous with "downloading," my question becomes, is there a way to download streaming files?

Feb 27, 2015 5:29 PM in response to Niku

I'm learning. Below some, not all, YouTube video screens, you will see three options: (a cross Add To), (< Share), and (... MORE). The first option apparently permits you to download the video; however, I don't understand how. When I click on "Add To", I get a box with a query sign at the beginning. So, apparently, I'm being asked where to store the video. What are some of the possibilities? What should I type here?

Feb 27, 2015 8:05 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Thanks. That's quite a bit of material to wade through, so I'm going to print it for more convenient study. In the meantime, I'm going to look for an app that will permit me to copy YouTube videos (sound and picture) from my computer screen. I'm sure that I have seen such apps advertised, and I think that they would solve my problem.;

Feb 27, 2015 8:13 PM in response to Niku

FWIW, you are most likely not downloading anything from YouTube because their terms forbid any download unless there is a download button underneath the video due to DRM and copyright issues. So, you are simply trying to load the content into your browser, which may take a while depending on your internet connection speed. Who is your ISP?

As for the buttons:

add to means you can add it to a playlist to watch later

share means you can send the link of the video to a friend

more means you can report the video (don't have a clue what the requirements might be for that one)

Edit: Just saw your reply. As I said, you cannot legally download anything from Youtube. If you decide to so so, we cannot help as we are not allowed to discuss anything like that and your post would be deleted by the hosts.

Feb 27, 2015 8:20 PM in response to babowa

I still have a lot to learn, but I'm not as ignorant as I was when I started; however, something you said confuses me. Isn't there a contradiction between "...you can add it to a playlist...." and "You cannot legally download anything from YouTube"? Isn't "adding it to your playlist" downloading it, and if YouTube doesn't want people to download video, why would they provide the buttons you describe? Is this a matter of semantics?

Feb 27, 2015 8:53 PM in response to babowa

Okay, thanks for clarifying that. Personally, I don't think it's something that I would bother with. Going back to the same link in YouTube is easy enough (I do it all the time), and it seems to me that very little would be gained by adding it to my Playlist. Incidentally, I only know of one "Playlist". It is located in my iTunes library. Is that the Playlist you are referring to?

Feb 28, 2015 3:27 PM in response to babowa

I learned a lot yesterday, and I was finally able to overcome my friend's problem; however, something you said still bothers me. I could write a few paragraphs on the many issues involved in downloading videos from YouTube, but let me just focus on one, well, two, aspects of this. (1) Does YouTube actually claim to own more than a very small percentage of the videos it has on display? It seems to me that a very large proportion of their videos are illegally there, but that YouTube very sensibly and practically takes the position that if anyone complains, they will be removed. Solomon couldn't have done better. Anyway, they do not own these videos, and it seems strange that they would be pointing their finger at others for copying their illegal possessions. (2) I may be wrong, but I don't think YouTube objects to the forwarding of links to their videos. What I don't understand is why it's bad to download them but okay to forward the links to them.

Feb 28, 2015 5:12 PM in response to Niku

3 words = Terms Of Service

3 more = Nobody Reads Them

These documents can be anything the content provider wants - "it's my house and we will play by my rules" - all ToSes, ToUs, everywhere, anything

http://www.wikisummaries.org/YouTube_Terms_of_Service is a bullet point list that mostly takes out all the mumbo jumbo legalese

I think you have finally figured out the semantics though...

• you are merely playing the movie that resides on the youtube hard drive instead of your hard drive
  • the bottleneck is very likely 'Your' connection speed - your device and their devices are very fast

TestMy.net | VERY accurate SpeedTest | Browser Only - No Flash

• YouTube gets slammed sometimes and IT will be the culprit in uneven or failing playback
    • they likely do not care much - whaddaya want for free?
    • many many servers but sometimes not enough
      - they (I am sure) try to hit some benchmark but are not trying to be fail-safe
  • downloading is forbidden by the uploader (or overlooked setting) as they are 'supposed' to have the (or have been granted the) COPYRIGHT

Feb 28, 2015 5:22 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

First, I'd like to say that YouTube is a world treasure. They have made the world a better place to live. Compared to that, my points are not all that important; still, (1) I think it's fair to say that almost all of the music on their site is there illegally, (2) I still don't understand why YouTube feels that it's okay to forward their links to videos but not to copy those videos. NOTE: I'm not talking about their Terms of Service.

Feb 28, 2015 6:46 PM in response to Niku

Very simple:

1. Apple owns these forums and can dictate any rules they wish to do so. Among them is that we are not allowed to talk about illegal processes.

2. Youtube owns their site and can dictate any rules they wish. See their ToU (in particular para. 4):

https://www.youtube.com/t/terms

Anyway, they do not own these videos, and it seems strange that they would be pointing their finger at others for copying their illegal possessions.

Read their ToU (para. 6) - when someone uploads the video, they retain their ownership, but do extend to Youtube certain rights. They do not have "illegal possession".

What I don't understand is why it's bad to download them but okay to forward the links to them.

You still are not understanding the difference between the actual act of downloading content (= transferring content from the website onto your computer) vs. forwarding a link to someone to look at the content on Youtube's website. Looking at the video on the website is NOT downloading it.

First, I'd like to say that YouTube is a world treasure. They have made the world a better place to live.

Fortunately, we live in a country where everyone can express their opinion. I certainly do not share yours; in fact, I very rarely visit that website.

There is no need to further discuss the laws, their terms, or the ToU here - you or I may not agree with them, but we all did agree to follow them when we established an account here and/or on YouTube's site. This is my last comment here before the hosts decide to send this entire thread into ether space.

Adjustments in computer settings to improve loading of YouTube videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.