Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM related issue...

I have an iMac 21.5" mid2010 and a macbook pro 13" early2011 both with preinstalled 2g + 2g ram

Can i do this:

1) Buy 4gb + 4 gb more ram

2)insert this into my MBP and take out the preinstalled 2gb + 2gb

3) insert the 2gb + 2gb taken out from my MBP to iMac's extra 2 slots

4) so i'll get 4gb + 4gb ram in MBP and 2g + 2g + 2g + 2g on iMac. thus making it 8gb in both the macs

...😕

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 1:17 PM

5 replies

Feb 27, 2015 1:45 PM in response to DheemanF04

Hello! Check the Specifications on both Macs before hand. Then check again. If I am not mistaken, the MBP will be different than the iMac. Go to the Apple top left of Menu Bar and click About This Mac to view each of the Mac's specs. Search Apple Support for both of the Mac specs as well. Don't forget to include the year on each. Do this before and verify to make a good sound decision on upgrading your RAM. Wrong RAM may allow your Mac to boot up but have intermittent crashes or not boot up at all and cause CPU/board damage. The old carpenter's saying "Measure twice - cut once."

RAM related issue...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.