Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do my SMS messages appear on non-iOS phones as a separated series of one-liners, and out of sequence ?

When i send a text message as an SMS to other non-iOS users, my message arrives as a disconnected series of one-liners (about 40-80 characters long) and usually out of sequence.

I've not seen this problem before, no other iPhone users have reported this to me.

Is there a setting i've missed ?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3, new from AT&T 5 months ago

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 2:20 PM

2 replies

Mar 1, 2015 6:26 AM in response to Froggie44

Hello Julius from Holland,

Wow! That definitely sounds strange. I’ve never heard of an issue like that, but let’s see if we can troubleshoot this at all. The following resource provides some great steps for troubleshooting messages. I’d give these a whirl and if the issue persists, follow the step to contact your carrier for additional information:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204065

[…]

Contact your carrier

If you can't send or receive SMS or MMS messages, contact your carrier to check your text messaging plan.

Cheers,

Matt M.

Mar 2, 2015 10:04 AM in response to Froggie44

Are the phones that are having the problem "basic" phones? Sometimes older basic phones have a problem with longer SMS messages, especially those sent from iPhones. Be sure not to use an emoji or special characters. Make sure that the messages you're sending are no more than 160 characters, the standard SMS limit. Also, many basic phones can't handle group messages that involve iOS devices.

Another possibility, if all of the phones having the problem are on the same carrier is that that carrier is having an issue.

why do my SMS messages appear on non-iOS phones as a separated series of one-liners, and out of sequence ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.