Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac pro 2009 start

Hi everyone,

My Mac Pro early 2009 won't start. Mac Pro early 2009, 8 core, Intel Xeon. 4 hard drives. Radeon video card 4870 512MB. Memory : 14GB

I've changed the power supply with a new one, cleaned all the dust, unplugged the Radeon video card, the fans, the processor tray, the DVD drive. Reinstalled everything.Replaced the battery button.

After a while, it started, not right from the first attempt.

I've plugged all the 4 disks, keyboard and display.

Mac OS Yosemite check everything and said the memory is not set correctly : one of 4Gb Dimm was not in the right slot and one isn't found. I shutdown. I tried another memory configuration and restarted. Another memory warning appeared about the slots. I shutdowned, remove my 4Gb dimm and started again with 6x1Gb memory set. The computer started perfectly well and ran for 1hour.

Then it shutdowned without notice. The inside was very hot.

I let the Mac Pro cool down with a fan nearby.

Then all the attempts to restart it failed.

I took all the parts away again and tried to analyse the problem. While pressing on the motherboard button an orange led shown, just one : 3v stby

When I plug the power supply to the motherboard, a red light shown for one second near the power button.

The motherboard is 2 years old, already replaced since I've bought the computer. I noticed 2 rusted (silver colored) square components in the middle of the motherboard.

I live in a tropical island, the air is warm and humid. No air con. No Apple store within 3.000km 🙂

Who can help me found how to fix this issue ? Thanks for your time !

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 2:39 PM

There are no replies.

mac pro 2009 start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.