Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12, PC, Apple TV movie folders

I dont know which area to post this in but this seems the most relevant

First off, I (still) have a PC and am using iTunes (12.1.4) for my TV show and movie Videos to share on Apple TV (iTV2).

I've searched all over and have yet to see something that actually works using a PC. (I know, I'm just waiting for the new MacBook Pros to redo my entire PC network 😉).

I would like to have folders inside my movies on Apple TV. I can then put a series of movies, or a series of TV shows under folders. For example, putting all the Lord of the Rings into a folder called Lord of the Rings. Putting all the Man From UNCLE series into a folder called UNCLE under Movies .

It seems that it might have something to do with the "GET INFO", but for the life of me, I cant seem to get the old get info. And quite honestly, even if I did, I dont really know what to do.

Could anyone please help me out with instructions for a PC iTunes/Apple TV.

If I need to post this in iTunes, I will, but I didnt want to duplicate the message . Thought I would try here first

Thanks

Jerry

Windows 7, iTunes

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 3:31 PM

7 replies

Feb 27, 2015 7:28 PM in response to GJN99

What you want to do is simply not possible. The AppleTV, nor iTunes software was not designed with file systems in mind, least of all hierarchical folder structure. The closest you can get is to use the Genre descriptions (Get Info -> Details -> Genre). There is a comprehensive list of different genre types. In addition you can create your own genre by simply typing it in the Genre window instead of picking a supplied one. So you could create a Lord of the Rings genre for example and assign it to the individual movies you want to. The AppleTV would then display those movies under the genre type.

Feb 28, 2015 4:27 PM in response to lkrupp

So if I get all the Seinfield episodes, I have to wade through 100's of episodes of Seinfield or make a genre of them. It doesnt make a lot of sense.

Is there another solution out there?

I guess I have a hard time thinking that Apple hadnt considered something like that.

Perhaps there is another non-AppleTV solution then?

Feb 28, 2015 7:28 PM in response to GJN99

The Apple TV is not a media server. iTunes is not media server software. Both the hardware and the software were designed for entirely different purposes. Your problem is that you already have in your mind how you want it to work rather than how it actually works so you are disappointed. Sounds like what you really want is something to connect your PC to your TV so you can play your movies from your organized folders. If you couldn’t find anything in the Windows world that does what you want then I doubt anything exists in the OS X world. The AppleTV and iTunes is not the answer for you.

Apr 20, 2015 6:10 AM in response to GJN99

Hey there,

Good question. Simple answer is yes you can do folders on the Apple TV, the catch is that you need the original Apple TV in order to do this.

Versions 2 and 3 do not support the folder structure and as far as I can make out this is because they are both based on iOS whereas the original Apple TV was based on OS X

If you happen to get you hands on a working original Apple TV I can vouch that the folder system will work as you want it to even using iTunes version 12.

Anyway hope one that helps.

Apr 20, 2015 2:33 PM in response to Dws1973

Thanks DWS

I actually discovered that if I use TV shows AND use something like MIAMI_VICE_S01E01 and use my MetaX which references THETVDB.com, it works like a charm.

The problem is with "specials" on the DVDs but I just name them and place them in the TV directory.

Folders would make it a bit easier..

Apr 21, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Dws1973

Both AppleTV 1 and the later iOS models supported TV Shows in folders if you added appropriate metadata.

Where AppleTv 1 was better was that it allowed Season 1, 2, 3 etc subfolders, the iOS based devices don't so you'll have top level folders for every season which is a real chore when there are many.

It's further complicated of course by non-iTunes material now getting put in Home Videos though that might suit many people.

iTunes 12, PC, Apple TV movie folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.