Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Another ghost typing iPad.

My iPAD 2, which I just gave to a family member as a gift, has started ghost typing. From the number of complaints I've heard from friends and from online sources in the last week and a half since I've been looking into it, this is a nearly ubiquitous problem even with iPad Air models. Does anyone know what % of iPads are afflicted? Is there a solution? The solutions in various discussion groups that are reported to work for some people, end up not working for others or work only as temporary fixes. Returning the product to Apple for repair does not apparently result in a lasting fix. Replaced digitizers fail. In my case, bending it worked for a while less than a day, then not. People talk about taking the iPad apart and covering exposed copper leads with duct tape or pushing such leads deeper in the case. Really? Is this what we are expected to do? Is there a real fix to this? Has Apple owned up to the problem as a general issue design or production problem and have they promised to do anything about it? If the problem has been fixed with the latest models, I'll consider buying another one. If not, all I can infer is that Apple considers this, and me, too trivial to care about. After all, the product "only costs a few hundred dollars". Well this kind of money still means something to me. If Apple doesn't care enough to fix the problem or at least communicate with users about it, I'll take my future tablet business to Samsung, Microsoft, LG, or another who might really want it. And maybe while there, I'll reconsider my phone and computer vendor relationships as well.

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 4:42 PM

The problem you describe is actually quite rare. Remember that there are many many millions of iPads out there so some digitizer problems will occur. There is also the chance that accidental damage (like drops) might provoke some of these problems. There is absolute nothing to suggest that there is any significant number of iPads with this problem or any design or manufacturing defect.

Regarding Apple repair - Apple does not repair iPads they are replaced.

By the way, bending your iPad?! That might have something to do with why the problem developed in the first place.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2015 4:42 PM in response to dptoub

The problem you describe is actually quite rare. Remember that there are many many millions of iPads out there so some digitizer problems will occur. There is also the chance that accidental damage (like drops) might provoke some of these problems. There is absolute nothing to suggest that there is any significant number of iPads with this problem or any design or manufacturing defect.

Regarding Apple repair - Apple does not repair iPads they are replaced.

By the way, bending your iPad?! That might have something to do with why the problem developed in the first place.

Feb 27, 2015 4:59 PM in response to dptoub

Please provide hard and fast evidence that this is a widespread problem. If it was a widespread problem as you are suggesting, this news would be all over the respected tech websites all over the Internet and it would be covered on the news like the iPhone 4 reception issue.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/apple-responds-over-iphone-4-reception-issues -youre-holding-th/

Apple could never get away with a major faux pas without it be reported everywhere. I think that your perception that this is a widespread problem that Apple must acknowledge is a little far fetched.

Sep 16, 2016 10:35 PM in response to dptoub

This IS a widespread problem. Just check these forums or do a search for ghost typing iPad. I have a perfectly good and well taken care of iPad Air. After the iOS 9.2.7 upgrade, it began ghosting - everything I typed came out more or less as goblety-gook. I tried everything that was seuggested to no avail. I also noticed that after that upgrade, my battery would run out in a fraction of the time it used to. Because I'm disabled and not able to get to an Apple service centre, and can't be without my iPad (my work requires it), I decided to upgrade. I purchased an iPad Pro 9.7" 128gb. I have had it for three days, upgraded to iOS 10 the second day, and guess what? It, too, is doing the same thing. I've removed the case, and unplugged the power cord. So tell me how two iPads can coincidentally be doing the same thinG all of a sudden? The iPad Air I've had for many years and this ghosting only began after the upgrade. I am livid that I've paid this much to get rid of the problem only to find it's obviously not the device but the software.

Another ghost typing iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.