Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pop up after safari froze saying to call number

My husband was on his iphone when the safari froze, then he had a pop up window tell him safari had crashed and to call 888-652-4757 and not only did he call but paid with a credit card. Should I be worried about this or is this a valid support?

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 5:44 PM

No, this is not a valid support number. It is a scam, and you should consider your credit card compromised. Co ntact your bank to determine what steps you need to take.

4 replies

Feb 28, 2015 1:16 AM in response to mistynights3

Read Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popups and web pages.

If your husband allowed the scam outfit to log in to his Mac, then whatever information it contained is probably in the hands of criminals and should no longer be considered secure. Neither is the Mac, which should be shut down immediately, disconnected from the Internet, then erased and reconfigured.

The only way to contact authorized Apple support is through the options in the Contact Us link at the bottom right of every Apple web page.

Feb 28, 2015 8:02 AM in response to mistynights3

No. I was under the impression he was using a Mac. It's not necessary to do anything else.

An iPhone's serial number can't directly be used for information theft, so you really don't need to do anything with it. If Safari freezes with or without a scam webpage, just double-click the Home button, swipe left or right to find Safari, then swipe it up to kill it.

pop up after safari froze saying to call number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.