Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am very stressed about this battery X

On my way to my apartment, I slipped on ice, fell, brushed it off, and walked in my room. Trying to get homework done immediately, i opened my bag and noticed my fresh can of soda from another section of my book bag was pierced, and that #!@* leaked its contents on my laptop. This was a 2 minute time span, between the fall and me opening my book bag. I panicked. I begged, please do not let my motherboard be fried. I opened the back of the mac to access the damage. I then wiped out the liquid from the shell of the computer, and also the charger terminal. Besides the charger port, the adapter, and a section of the screen being wet, surprisingly no internal components were wet. The cords were dry, the motherboard was dry. But not the adapter or battery. After wiping out the shell of the Macbook, i let them sit for a day, I attempted to turn it on the next day. I did not take out the battery... now that I think about it, that was really silly of me. But I did not want to risk moving the battery, and having something leak out or cause a spark. However, the next day in an attempt to do some work i pressed the power, and it didn't cut on. I used the charger, and although it had a short in it, it worked and powered up normally. This was the first time i seen the X from the battery... I said fine, i'll take out the battery since its dead anyway. and I'll get a new one. I ordered a new battery.. and the X was still there. Very disappointing..... after fidgeting with it, and trying all of the videos online to make the X go away, it cut on out of sheer coincidence, without the adapter being attached. This X is still there, but at least I know the battery is doing its job even though its not registering! I'm positive its not a fried motherboard. But then again, I'm not sure what exactly is going on.... the power source drop down says "no battery available" and beneath that it says "power source: battery" A huge contradiction, and it bugs me. my questions are, why is this X here? why isn't the battery being recognized by the computer? when obviously, the battery is the reason why its on currently unattached to a recharger? I've only had this macbook for half of a year 😟 very very unfortunate turn of events. I'm pretty sure my warranty is voided from me opening it, as well as having liquid spilled on it... very unfortunate. But if you guys have any answers, that would make my night.

my MAIN problems are

1) When I connect the adapter to the computer, it becomes dependent on the power source, and cuts off if the charger is taken out. The majority of the time, it will not power on with only the new battery. (its been 3 hours and it has cut on twice without the adapter)

2) I never know when my battery is full or not.

I've tried SMC, but I can't get the X to disappear and show that my battery is recognized. I spent a lot of cash on this Macbook pro, and if possible, id like to try fix it yourself solutions before throwing more money at apple.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Server

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 7:43 PM

2 replies

I am very stressed about this battery X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.