Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backup on the computer vs iCloud?

I have to restore my phone and I was worried about what data I would lose. I used to backup my phone via iTunes on my Mac until this past October when I had a backup error and lost everything on my phone, so now I use iCloud. (this might sound really dumb) but before I was gonna do the restore, I was backing up my phone and I thought about if I would lose the data for one of my games that I have been working on for months so I looked in the iCloud settings under documents and data and it wasn't even listed there. so now I have no idea if it's backed up or not and I really don't wanna risk losing it. so if I switched back to manually backing up my phone via iTunes, would that save it? also one problem I was thinking of was that last time I tried to restore my phone from a computer backup when I got my 6 Plus, it didn't work and basically looked like it was a brand new phone setup. I also had it backed up to iCloud at that point so I just used that one instead. so I'm not really sure what I should do. I might just test it on my iPad because I don't have much on there. if you have any info for me, thanks in advance!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 8:56 PM

I would recommend that you do both. Better to have two backups than to have one....

Here are some support articles that explain what is backed up in each situation:

iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview

Create and delete iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups in iTunes - Apple Support

And here is an article that provides a comparison to help you to determine which is best for you:

Should I use iTunes or iCloud to back up my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? - Apple Support

Note that the last section covers using both iCloud and iTunes backups. I have automatic iCloud backups set up for my phones, so they back up daily to iCloud which means I have a current backup in case of an unexpected need to use one. Whenever I connect to my Mac (to import photos mainly), I also open iTunes and do a backup there. And I always open iTunes and do a backup before I ever do a major iOS upgrade to any of my devices.

Cheers,

GB

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2015 8:56 PM in response to melissuh

I would recommend that you do both. Better to have two backups than to have one....

Here are some support articles that explain what is backed up in each situation:

iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview

Create and delete iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups in iTunes - Apple Support

And here is an article that provides a comparison to help you to determine which is best for you:

Should I use iTunes or iCloud to back up my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? - Apple Support

Note that the last section covers using both iCloud and iTunes backups. I have automatic iCloud backups set up for my phones, so they back up daily to iCloud which means I have a current backup in case of an unexpected need to use one. Whenever I connect to my Mac (to import photos mainly), I also open iTunes and do a backup there. And I always open iTunes and do a backup before I ever do a major iOS upgrade to any of my devices.

Cheers,

GB

backup on the computer vs iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.