Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I turn a text file into slides?

I want to completely rebuild a presentation, but keep some of the major points. Ideally, I would like to switch to Outline view in my current presentation, copy the slides and paste them into a text editor that would allow me to collapse the details of each slide so I see a list of the titles. I could edit the titles, and rearrange their order. I could then open up each slide and edit the hierarchical bullet points on each slide. Once I'm happy with it, I would open up a new keynote file, set the theme, and paste my outline into Keynote. It would know that each non-indented line is the title of a new slide, and the indented text underneath it is the body of the slide. Similar to the Outline view in Keynote, but when I copy the Outline view, past it into an editor such as Smultron or Pages, and paste it into Outline view in a new Keynote document, Keynote doesn't understand how to parse it into slides. Does anyone know a way to do this, or should I just continue to edit the slides in Keynote like we always have?

Thanks!

3GHz Dual Quad-Core MacPro, 12 Gb RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 6:15 PM

3 replies

Mar 9, 2015 10:07 AM in response to Allerdoc

Here is a workaround using the Word outliner and Powerpoint. It is a little complicated but once I worked out how to do it worked every time. It is a little different for Keynote 6 and 5

In your Word document you need to apply styles so that when you import the text into Keynote they map like this:

Heading 1 = Title

Heading 2 = Body level 1

Heading 3 = Body level 2 etc

The system reads the file and wherever it finds a Heading 1 it makes a new slide. So for every new slide there must be a Heading 1 element, even if it is just a placeholder which you change or delete later.

Keynote 6:

Make sure you have prepared a Theme with the styles you want and saved it. (It will appear under My Themes in the Theme chooser )

1 Save Word outline as .rtf (important!)

2 Open Powerpoint

3 Choose menu item Insert/slides from outline

4 Save the Powerpoint file

5 Open Keynote

6 Select File/Open and open the just saved ppt or pptx file. (You can open Powerpoint files directly into Keynote)

7 Choose the Theme you want (File/Change theme)

8 In Edit Slide Masters, move the Master which most slides will use to the top of the list

9 The slides will now all have the first Master in the list; apply different Masters to slides you want to change

Keynote 5:

2 Open Powerpoint

5 Open Keynote

6 Select File/Open and open the just saved ppt or pptx file. (You can open Powerpoint files directly into Keynote)

7 Copy some slides from another presentation with the format you want into the Keynote file (or construct new masters as you wish them)

8 select all the new slides you have just imported and apply the master you want (the fonts, etc, won't be as you want them.)

9 select all slides and then select Format/Reapply master

10 By default if you open a Powerpoint file it may copy videos and audio into the file and you can't then change this. If you don't want this, copy slides back into a file which has been saved with external audio and video.

Mar 9, 2015 10:26 AM in response to Allerdoc

Here is a workaround using the Word outliner and Powerpoint. It is a little complicated but once I worked out how to do it worked every time. It is a little different for Keynote 6 and 5

In your Word document you need to apply styles so that when you import the text into Keynote they map like this:

Heading 1 = Title

Heading 2 = Body level 1

Heading 3 = Body level 2 etc

The system reads the file and wherever it finds a Heading 1 it makes a new slide. So for every new slide there must be a Heading 1 element, even if it is just a placeholder which you change or delete later.

Keynote 6:

Prepare a Theme with the styles you want and drag the slide Master most slides will use to the top of the list of Masters. Save the Theme (Save/Save theme). It will appear under My Themes in the Theme chooser.

2 Open Powerpoint

5 Open Keynote

7 Choose the Theme you want (File/Change theme)

8 The slides will now all have the first Master in the list; apply different Masters to slides you want to change

Keynote 5:

2 Open Powerpoint

5 Open Keynote

7 Copy some slides from another presentation with the format you want into the Keynote file (or construct new masters as you wish them)

8 select all the new slides you have just imported and apply the master you want (the fonts, etc, won't be as you want them.)

9 select all slides and then select Format/Reapply master

10 By default if you open a Powerpoint file it may copy videos and audio into the file and you can't then change this. If you don't want this, copy slides back into a file which has been saved with external audio and video.

Can I turn a text file into slides?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.